Topic

NEMO Siren quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NEMO Siren quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I got to spend some quality time with one of NEMO's Siren quilts this fall. I think it is a pretty good job for their first try.

I have a review of it here:

http://tinyurl.com/aw56ref

I had to stop using it as it is deer season now (I don't go out until it is done) and it will be too cold once I start back up next month.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Good review Ray.
    The 'horizontal' line of the footbox end looks as if it might let in cold air as you turn. Did you find any difference in that regard? My quilts have the usual 'vertical split' at the end of the footbox.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

You know Mike I was wondering that myself as all of my other quilts have been more of a V instead of straight across. But I did not recommend changing it in the review because I never had any issues with it.

Most of my use was in CA and the weather warmed up right as I got there so I really didn't have it at the low end much. Next spring I should see some lower temps to get a better idea of how it does at or below 30.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

It's maybe not an issue. Like yourself, i'm a restless side sleeper, so quilts were a prayer answered when i discovered them.
    Good to see a mainstream manufacturer taking quilts seriously, though maybe our cottage guys wont be so happy. It seems quite expensive for a mass produced product though.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

I have a feeling that material is pretty spendy.

I think they have it priced at the upper-middle and can see it for what they are using. I just posted a review of my children's GoLite quilts and see that they are saying theirs have an MSRP of $400.00 now. That is crazy. ;-)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice review and nice quilt Ray! Thank you for posting this.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Ray,

Just wondering how you got on with this quilt, any issue with the Synethic fill degrading, or the lack of top draw cord?

Cheers,

Stephen

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

@Stephen… the fill is 850 down, so should have pretty good longevity if treated right. I have an old (+25 years!) 650 down bag (Campmor +20) that is still in excellent shape, but a bit heavy by today's standards.

Based in large part on a Ray's review and the rave reviews from some other advocates of the quilt system, I decided to spend part of my REI dividend (plus the 20% discount!) on a Siren. First impression is that it is an extremely high quality product with a generous fill volume that compresses very nicely. Although the outer and inner shells are incredibly light and supple, I am not too concerned about longevity because I have always been very "easy" on gear. I just stuffed it in the pack bottom with no stuff sack and the weight of the other pack items flatten it with no effort at all.

I have not used it in the field yet but plan to in the next couple of weeks, in combination with a NeoAir Xlite. I will post some more observations after some actual experience using it.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I had also got on on sale from REI on sale with dividend.
    I am going to see how it looks at home, and then either return it or bring it on a trip in 2 weeks time.

Do you think the loft is even through out the quilt, do the baffles seem well filled?

Cheers,

Stephen

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Stephen,

I think that at the very least you are going to be impressed enough with it to give it a couple of nights in the field.

The fully blocked baffles are about 8 inches square. The fill distribution is quite even in my sample.

Somebody in one review I read complained that the down cannot be shifted around to put more on top, less on bottom, but I think the coverage will be totally adequate for a 30 deg bag that weighs 19 ounces. I actually prefer the fixed baffles without down shifting. With a down hood and sleeping in other jackets or clothing layers, I am sure I could be comfortable down to 20 deg or perhaps lower. But, as you noted above, the lack of a top drawstring might be a limiting factor there, but I won't know for sure this season.

When it gets colder, I have a Marmot Plasma 15 which works great well below 15 deg in concert with other layering items such Montbell hooded down jacket and TEC down pants. Those things REALLY extend the temp rating – very comfortable near zero.

Bob

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Bob,

Like you I really appreciate keeping the down in place. The lack of drawcord is probably not a big issue for me, as I plan to use it either under a 50f or 30f Enlightened Equipment Prodigy, to give a 20f or 0f rating respectively.

For stupid cold temps I have a WM Alpinelite and Puma so this is more of an experiment.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Looking forward to comparing notes in a couple of weeks, Stephen.

I will also be using for the first time a Zpacks Hexamid Duplex and Arc Blast 52L.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Bob,

Mine is due in on tuesday, if it passes muster I will try it out on a trip next week.

:-)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Stephen, looks as if you will get a test drive sooner than I will.

The "problem" here in southern NY is that it is warming up rather quickly after the prolonged winter, so the need for a 30deg bag is rapidly diminishing. I have a MH Phantom 45 which will suffice very soon.

Just wondering, where is "a very flat place"?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Bob,

A "very flat place" is central Michigan.

Its still fairly cold here at night, temps of the lows 20's this week.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Bob,

The a Siren arrived. It does look nice but I am going to send it back as its not long enough for me.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Stephen, I also though it might be too short at first, but going back and reading Raymond's evaluation I noted that he is 6'3" (-ish?) 225lb and found it adequate as an experienced quilt user, so I will give it a try on a quick overnighter 4/18-19.

Although I have zero experience with quilts, I'm thinking I might experiment by replacing the static draw cord with a light shock cord. If I recall correctly, Raymond removed it altogether.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Bob,

Hope it works out for you :-)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Hi, Stephen:

I just wanted to let you know that I used the quilt and it worked very well down to 34*F. Although there was the occasional draft around the shoulders I did not get cold, mainly because of the layers in which I sleep and the fact that I am accustomed to sleeping in much colder temperatures.

I can imagine that for somebody taller (I am 5'9") I can see how it might be considered too short (altho plenty long for me), but I am keeping in mind that using a quilt is a lot different from using a sleeping bag. For this first foray into quiltdom I followed the mfgr guide and inserted the NeoAir xlite (regular 72" length) into the quilt with the cross-crossing cord cinched up only enough to keep the edges of the quilt under the sleep pad. Somehow, some way, the cord lock on mine was broken, but it was easy enough to tie a simple overhand knot to achieve the same thing. I did not use the snaps to snug up the top part of the quilt because I tried it temporarily and it was too restrictive for my tastes. As it turned out, however, the bag is so supple that when I turned on my side (I toss and turn a lot when I sleep) the bag just draped around my shoulders and kept drafts to a minimum.

What I did find rather cumbersome was getting into the quilt, which – with the criss-crossing cord cinched properly for the sleeping pad – required me to sit at the head of the pad, insert legs into the top of the quilt/pad combo, then worm and wiggle my way down into the sleep system. Not a huge deal, but a new experience.

A couple of things I am thinking of trying later: 1) do like Ray and remove the cords altogether 2) use some light shock cords crossing straight across the quilt to the corresponding eyelets, tensioned only enough to keep the quilt edges in line with the pad.

Overall, I am very happy with my first experience using a quilt. I feel that the 30*F temperature rating is accurate, and am sure that I could have slept with one or two fewer layers (I use very light layers) and remained very comfortable. The Siren compresses down to a very small in the bottom of the pack with simply the weight of items on top of it. I used the stock stuff sack, which is very light except for the stiff nylon strap and buckles used for closure, and will try it with a Zpacks Cuben dry bag. But it might be a few months before I use it again in the field because the weather has warmed up considerably of late, hopefully remaining so for several months to come. For the warmer conditions, I have the MH Phantom 45.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thats great it worked out for you Bob.

May you have great trips with it.

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

Bob
    "use some light shock cords crossing straight across the quilt to the corresponding eyelets, tensioned only enough to keep the quilt edges in line with the pad"

I did that with mine and it works out great also have an EE quilt and do not like the straps so myog it to be the same… so when it gets cold I can adjust it to be tight to the pad, but easy to adjust and get in and out…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools