Topic

What shoes/boot’s are you using this winter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What shoes/boot’s are you using this winter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Locale: Southern California

I am trying to get an idea of what other backpackers are wearing once it get's cold and or snowy. I realize this is a vague question but I would like to see posts that name their shoe or boot and what conditions they find the shoe/boot suitable for. I currently wear a Salomon Speedcross 3 trailrunners 9 months of the year and also have the Salomon XA Pro 3D for colder weather always matched with REI merino socks. I use a Goretex sock for wet and cold conditions and some shin high OR gaiters. What I am really trying to understand is how you are keeping it lightweight and staying warm.

Scott

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Same as in summer: New Balance 810, unless it is NNN-BC ski boots.

Cheers

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Roger thank you. How are you able to keep your feet warm in 30' weather while for instance hanging out in camp? Do you carry a down bootie or something similar?

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Another same as summer, Inov8 Roclite 295s, Darn Tough merino socks, Dirtygirlgaiters. I hit the desert in the winter, so temperatures are similar. We'll usually have a fire at night, so that takes care of cold feet.

Id probably opt for an extra thick pair of socks and down booties for camp if I was dealing with snow. As long as Im moving, even if my feet are wet, they're usually fine, just a bit cold.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Scott

Let's start by saying I agree with Christopher's ideas.

> How are you able to keep your feet warm in 30' weather while for instance hanging out in camp?
    Oh, that's easy.
    Find camp site.
    Pitch tent.
    Throw my wife inside to sort out the interior.
    Go and fill water bottles.
    Get into tent, onto air mat (this is winter, right?) and remove shoes and day socks.
    Dry feet. OK, if they aren't soaking, sometimes they get to air dry.
    Change to thermals etc etc for warmth.
    Then, if cold, put on tent socks. These are very fluffy socks I bought years ago near Chamonix and which have NEVER been inside a pair of shoes. Zero compression. Don't have any down booties – sigh.
    Start cooking dinner.
    Eat dinner.
    Clean teeth.
    Go to the loo outside (change to old socks and shoes for this).
    By now it is dark, so go to sleep until Sue wakes me up and demands breakfast.

Hidden behind all this is the idea that we don't stop so early that we have to 'hang around'. OK, if it is really early, we might go free skiing or climb a peak or something. Even go for a wander with the camera. But NOT 'hang around camp'.

That's what WE do. Doesn't mean anyone else has to do the same.

Cheers

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Christopher that's the scenario I was hoping to see described thank you.

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Roger thank you for your humorous but detailed description of camp life with you and your wife Sue. You have enabled me to "see' your technique and that is just what I was hoping for.

Scott

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Lowe Renegade GTX medium hikers for snow, but good enough for in town too. I just don't do enough snowshoeing around Albuquerque and SantaFe to rate a separate pair for just hiking.

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Good looking boot, thanks.

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Never mind. I am working on my ability to post direct links skills.

I found this thread quite informative and humorous as well.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Scott,

The shoe I have been using the longest for 3 season hiking is a Salomon XA Comp 3D Ultra. I have several pairs, since they are no longer sold. These are lasting a long time, because I normally use XC flats in the 3 seasons.

I have the same Salomon shoe for winter, but it is 1.5 sizes bigger to accommodate thicker socks and a GoreTex sock if needed. When the conditions require it, I use a pair of OR Verglas gaiters. I don't do as much cold winter/snow hiking as many folks here, but several times a year you will find me in the San Jacintos or San Bernardinos.

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Nick I always appreciate your input. I also own Salomon XA 3D ULTRA'S but they are ULTRA 2's? I don't know the difference. I was not bright enough to buy a larger size to accommodate an extra heavy sock and a GTX liner for winter wear. I do wear a liner with my Salomon Speedcross 3's and a normal merino sock and they seem to fit fine. My fitness is improving daily so I hope to tag a long someday out in Anza Borrego.

Scott

Edit:Spelling

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools