Topic

Spring in Europe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Spring in Europe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Max B

@mxbenson

Locale: PNW

It looks like I might have a few weeks Europe from Mid-April to Mid-May and I've never done any backpacking on the continent. I've got a lot of flexibility as to where I'll be flying into at this stage and wanted to see if there are some favorites that might be accessible at that time of the year.

Thanks in advance!

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

This might give you some ideas.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

If you like snow then Scotland would be great -Scotland is great per se though!

Rather depends on what you are after as a backpacking experience, Europe has huge variety – what sort of backpacking do you envisage?

Max B

@mxbenson

Locale: PNW

Thanks William, I read that trip report a few months back and the haute route through the Pyrenees that looked pretty amazing. I'm thinking though that I would want something that is 2 weeks maximum and I wouldn't argue if I actually did two one week trips in different areas just to get a different experience.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Europe from Mid-April to Mid-May
    Anywhere up in the mountains could easily be still snowed in during that period.

I remember arriving at Tarascon in the Pyrenees at the end of May 2007. Our route WAS to have been along the Pyrenees for the first few days, but we had neither snow shoes nor snow stakes for the tent (nor enough warm clothing, really). So the route got changed.

I don't think the mountain huts open until the middle of June. A lot of the valley camping grounds don't open until the middle of June.

Cheers

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

April and May is a fine time to walk in England and Wales. There are thousands of miles of public rights of way, the flowers are blooming and the spoken language is usually intelligible. Try one of the National Trails, Wainwright's Coast-to-Coast or Drake's more challenging Cambrian Way.

James and Amy

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

I'd consider Spain, Italy, and Southern France. Check out Cicerone Press's web site, which has a good deal of info. And you can download the guidebooks. Mike

Wim Depondt
    BPL Member

@wim_depondt

Locale: The low countries

My choices would be limited to
    – Ireland, England or Wales (quid Lake District?)
    – Lapland (winter hiking). E.g. Kungsleden or Sarek (impressions: http://patagoniandreams.com/2012/04/24/snow-flapping-through-sarek/)
    – Morocco (ok, not exactly Europe but it is merely a couple of hours flying). For impressions (M'Goun massive):
    https://picasaweb.google.com/115730044803644133203/TourOfTheMGounRangeMorocco?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCI2JkrP_w_LerQE&feat=directlink
    The peaks & passes might still have some snow. Trailblazer has a good guidebook. Knowledge of French is paramount when travelling without a guide.

As other posters already noted: virtually all major European mountain regions will still be snowed under. Mind you, first half of April still is skying season in the Alps, so that might also be an option.

Wim

edit: added info about language knowledge in Morocco.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I may be biased, but May is the best month for walking in Scotland. Spring is well under way so the winter weather is over, hours of daylight are good, snow will be gone apart from the hill tops, and the first midges will not have hatched.

Be aware that we don't have the manicured trails that you get in many places, paths are rougher and not sign-posted. You may need to read a map. Avoid the WHW unless you enjoy the sounds from a road (highway).

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Anywhere in Ireland or Scotland gets my vote.

Alex R

@arush84

Locale: SE England, NW England..

As others have said, spring is a great time for hiking in Europe! Particularly if you are considering long-distance walks in England / Scotland, often the weather is drier in spring and there are the most hours of daylight. Here are some useful web links to give you a few ideas..

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/
    http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-routes.shtml

Further south around the Mediterranean (at low altitude) its also a good time to hike, warm but not too hot. Unless you have winter gear probably best to avoid the Alps until summer.

Hope this helps!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools