Topic

70 Year Old Couple Looking for Sierra Trip Within Our Capabilities

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 70 Year Old Couple Looking for Sierra Trip Within Our Capabilities

• This topic has 31 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Tom K.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dan K
    BPL Member

@graydan

Renee – you mentioned you’re looking into an Echo Lakes trip so I’ll focus my comments on that. I lived in the east part of Sacramento County for over 20 years and back packed a lot in Desolation Wilderness, using the Wrights Lake and Echo Lakes trail heads primarily, and mostly for 2 and 3 night trips. I stitched together a couple of these trips into a lollypop loop trail that might meet most of your criteria.

Beginning at Echo Lakes, follow the PCT north to Lake Aloha. Keep hiking north at the point where the PCT turns east, and head over Mosquito Pass and then down to the Rubicon Valley where you follow the Rubicon River to Camper Flat. From that point head east (with an elevation gain – sorry about that) to the Velma Lakes area where you connect up with the PCT. Follow the PCT south past lakes Fontanallis, then Gilmore. At Gilmore Lake, the PCT turns west, passing more lakes, and connects up with Lake Aloha. Take the lollypop stick part of the route south, back to Echo Lakes.

From the trail head, this route is about 33 miles. Taking the aforementioned boat that Flat Hat mentioned saves 2.5 miles each way, leaving you with a 28 mile hike, or there about. I used old math, my fingers, and a 1991 Tom Harrison map to get the total mileage. But I think I’m pretty close.

The Rubicon River at that time of year should be low but flowing most of the way, with pools deep enough to enjoy a cold soak. Look for China Flat along the river for a nice place to lunch, or camp. Mosquitoes should be non existent along the whole route by then, and in all my years hiking there, I never got rained on. I’d recommend taking a side trip from Lake Gilmore up to  Mt. Tallac. It’s a bit of a climb, but provides great views of the Tahoe Basin. The chipmunk looking critters at the top of Tallac are golden mantled squirrels and they will steal food out of your hand even when you are looking. You’ve been warned.

A couple of considerations. Avoid traffic on I-5 and Hwy 50 Friday afternoon/evening, and again all day Sunday, if possible. And get to the trail head parking lot early, or you may need to park on the road into the ‘resort’.  The crowds do thin out quite a bit a mile of so past the end of the second lake. Dan

Renee M
    BPL Member

@rikkicn

My wife and I are so impressed with this community! the response have been amazing and they helped us to find hikes to consider AND we made a decision. We are going to hike From Meeks Bay to Echo Lake. A little longer and more elevation gain than we wanted but still within our capabilities.

The only thing to figure out now is how to get from the Echo Bay trailhead back to our car at the Meeks Bay trailhead. I’ve search google and can’t seems to find shuttle service that covers this place but I’m sure I’m missing something. Short of taking 2 cars might any of you know how to accomplish this?

Thanks to much for all your help, truly wonderful!!

Renee and Katie

Renee M
    BPL Member

@rikkicn

Dan,

Thanks you for your very thorough description of Echo Lakes. It was so nice of you to take that time and considering in responding. We decided to start there and go to Meeks Bay.

Now to find a way to get back to our car!

Katie and Renee

Flat Hat
    BPL Member

@hatflat-2

Locale: Northern California
    Flat Hat
    BPL Member

@hatflat-2

Flat Hat
    BPL Member

@hatflat-2

TRTA transpo info page:   https://tahoerimtrail.org/transportation/

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Sabrina Basin fits your mileage and elevation requirements, and has a number of pretty little lakes for base camping and day hikes, with some really stunning scenery and opportunities for swimming, fishing, and just plain hanging out.  Donkey,  Hungry Packer, and Midnight Lakes are my personal favorites.  It can get crowded in July and August, but things slow down after Labor Day.  Late September would be ideal.  Far fewer people, no bugs, stable weather.

The lakes strung out along the trail leading from South Lake to Bishop Pass.  Lots of attractive places to camp and hang out, with very little elevation gain.  If you’re feeling frisky, going over Bishop Pass into Dusy Basin would be an excellent option.  Same time of year, for the same reasons,  as Sabrina Basin apply.

Kearsarge Lakes are another excellent option for the same reasons and the same time of year.  A bit more total elevation when you add up going in and coming out, but it is a good trail and should be manageable, based on what you have told us about yourselves.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools