Topic

Missing hiker in the North Cascades

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Missing hiker in the North Cascades

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Copied from today's PCT_List forum:

"Any of you guys that hiked north out of Dinsmores around Oct 17th or later….we are looking for Ian Sarmento, "I'm Fine". He was the last one out of here NOBO. Has not picked up mail at Stehekin yet. Has not checked in anywhere. He left here on Oct 17th. Please contact me if you hiked north from here or saw him on the trail before or after Stehekin. I spoke to his Mom and she heard from Ian on October 14th. SAR has been called. He only took food for 6-7 days. His pic is up on the Class of 2012 on the PCT Facebook page. Need any info we can get.

Thanks,

Andrea Dinsmore
    PCT MOM"

The North Cascades have been hit almost continuously by heavy rain and snow since early October. Through-hikers are a dedicated lot; you hate to stop 150 miles short of your 2600 mile goal, but still…..you have to know when to quit and be willing to do so.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

That's 4 missing/SAR incidents I've heard of for the West coast hiking in the past week. :(

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I strongly recommend you post this info on http://www.nwhikers.net, a Seattle-area hiking forum.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

I'm not a member there. Please feel free to copy my post and post it there yourself.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Somebody beat me to it, and there are quite a few comments there, mostly just concern but some may be useful. One of the posters there is from the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office, so that thread is being watched by SAR. There is a phone number to contact for those with information.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8002078

I hope he's found!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

The thread on nwhikers.net now contains more info, including a photo of the missing hiker and a post from the last people to have seen him. The URL is in my post just previous to this.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

It was reported on nwhikers.net this afternoon that "I'm Fine" has been found. No details yet. It will be interesting to hear his story.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks Mary!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

It seems he walked into Stehekin today, a week overdue, after 5 days of no food. Still not much detail, but lots of sources including the PCT Class of 2012 Facebook group with posts from Chelan County SAR and the hiker's mother. (I'm not on Facebook, so got all this from the nwhikers.net thread).
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8002078&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm very glad this story had a happy ending.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Seriously hiking and backpacking isn't an adventure sports, people like this missing hiker and another one in the Sierra's think they are some sort of dare devils and just cause too much anxiety to their loved ones and also make us winch our face for a moment when reading these missing hiker threads. Can't even think about all the tax payers money, time and effort of SAR teams to find this arrogant people. I'm glad he is found and not sure if the Sierra hiker will have the same luck (read that the SAR is being called off) but still loonies like these should be censored and discouraged to keep them sane.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

people like this missing hiker and another one in the Sierra's think they are some sort of dare devils

So you personally know these people , do you ?
    well tell us exactly what happened then .
    What went wrong ?

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

read the last but one post on nwhikers where few people tried convincing this guy to camp for the day..also read the poster regrets that he should have been more convincing, its good he was found but think if he came back in a body bag, those people who suggested him to camp would have felt a lot worse..

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8002078&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=219993c9c4f4554b7d4edabfbb3a3cee

same with the hiker who has not been found in the sierra's, I read his posts where he boasts about not having a map, compass when he goes on hikes. I can dig the thread for you tomorrow..

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Judging from the posts on several forums regarding the attitude, experience, and hiking styles of the men involved, this hiker is different from the one in the Sierra. I have also hiked this same section of the PCT, albeit without the snow.

Yes, he knowing headed out into tough country and in-coming weather, confident he could make it through. He did, albeit taking far longer than he had planned and carried food for. He paid for this miscalculation by going the last 5 days without food. Try that while walking 90 miles through snow and buried trail in a roadless wilderness where you know you are the only one likely to be out there. You really have to know what you're doing and be able to keep your wits about you at all times.

The fact that he did make it unaided through the snow and some of the toughest terraine on the PCT testifies to the level of his outdoor skills and gear choices, and also validates his initial premise for continuing in the first place.

After she finishes hugging and kissing him, his mother may well break his little neck for scaring the dejeebers out of her that way. I suspect he won't be sitting down for several days. I'm sure SAR will have a few comments for him as well, although I'm sure they're pleased with the outcome too.

Clint Hollingsworth

@wanderclint

Locale: North Central Wa State

I'm just glad he was found. This is one of the problems I have with the take "just enough" food and water advocates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools