Topic

Best of 2011-2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Best of 2011-2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

This isn't exactly a single trip report, but rather a compilation of some of my favorite times in the outdoors over the last year or so. It's neat to look back and see how I've grown via the experiences I've been lucky enough to have outside. Hopefully the next year will feature even more adventure!

topofazJuly 2011. On top of Humphrey's Peak in Arizona, the highest point in the state.

grandcanyonJuly 2011. Enjoying the beauty of the Grand Canyon during a long and hot day. Pictures seriously don't do this place justice, and I can't wait to get back for an extended trip.

dinnerontheedgeJuly 2011. Dinner right on the edge of the Sandia Crest. A monsoon storm had just blown in and the temps were nice and cool, having dropped 20 degrees in a very short time. My first taste of fickle mountain weather.

chamarivercanyonAugust 2011. Camp along the Rio Chama in Chama River Canyon. We couldn't find the trailhead, so we bushwacked down and eventually caught the trail as we descended into the canyon. Those clouds never did amount to much, but made for pretty skies.

hikingbuddiesAugust 2011. My hiking buddies for a few hours heading towards the Santa Barbara Divide in the Pecos Wilderness.

firstsnowSeptember 2011. First snow in the Sandia Mountains. Having grown up in hot and humid Houston, myself and my dog were out of bed and in the mountains in under an hour. This was taken heading up Embudo Canyon, my absolute favorite place in the Sandias.

magdalenamountainsNovember 2011. Day hiking with one of my best friends in the Magdalena Mountains near Socorro, NM. Gorgeous area, tough hike. We followed the Mesa Trail up to, not surprisingly, a large mesa and enjoyed views for miles and miles.

flurrybeardNovember 2011. Flurry sporting a snow beard on the outskirts of Pagosa Springs, CO. I like the look.

santafebaldyAugust 2011. Looking down from Santa Fe Baldy in the Pecos Wilderness. It's a rough climb over a very short distance, but well worth the effort.

drinkandskiJanuary 2012. Downing a bottle of Mahajara by Avery near Sandia Crest. My best friend had come into town for the week and we were doing a bit of snowshoeing and XC ski in the Sandias.

sunsetsandiasJanuary 2012. Sunset in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains, at the trailhead to my favorite hike.

jackscreekApril 2012. Camp near Jack's Creek in the Pecos Wilderness. The weather was not cooperating.

stewartlakeMay 2012. A small pond near Stewart Lake in the Pecos Wilderness. The Pecos is loaded with lakes and meadows and is a stupidly accessible high country area that EVERYONE should visit at some point.

laluzMay 2012. Looking down at Albuquerque after a grueling run up the La Luz Trail, 7.5 miles and 3500' gain. When I first moved to Albuquerque I hiked up La Luz and was passed by some dude running up. I remember thinking, no way in hell I'll ever manage that. As I stepped off the trail at the Crest House, I wondered to myself if any of the many hikers I passed were thinking the very same thing.

horsethiefmeadowsPhoto Credit: Eugene Smith. June 2012. Hanging out at Horsethief Meadows. Hiking with Eugene, Landon, Eric, Ian, and HK in the Pecos.

alongthectJune 2012. Taking a quick break as we approach Kenosha Pass along the Colorado Trail. We were being chased by storms, but they passed by and we ended up with a sweet camp a few miles from the pass.

dirtyfeetJune 2012. After a week on the CT. I think this is a good picture to end with, as it pretty much sums up my year: I got dirty, and I loved it.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Bunch of beautiful country there! And I love your dog! What amazing blue eyes!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools