Topic

Hiking laurelhighlands trail, pa in winter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hiking laurelhighlands trail, pa in winter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian Kelly

@brik9876

Ok so i am not sure this is even in the right section but here goes and if it isnt right plz move me.
    To all those who hike western Pa in winter in particular the laurel highlands trail what do you do when you get to the seven springs area?

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Locale: Western PA

I hiked ~50 miles of the LHT in the winter of 2001. When we started the trail, there was no snow. As far as I can remember we hiked in January. As we got closer to Seven Springs, it started to snow and by the time we entered the resort, we were hiking an unbroken trail through thigh deep snow. We had a group of 5 so we took turns up front. It was absolutely exhausting but I was in good shape so it was no big deal.

We slept in the Adirondack shelters each night. They were stocked well with firewood which helped keep us a little bit warmer. It was still bitter cold though. If I were to do it again, I would probably sleep in a tent. It was very windy in the shelters.

I forgot to mention, at one point you'll be hiking across the ski slopes. Keep your eyes open!

Brian Kelly

@brik9876

Ok that was what i was asking i just did it very poorly. When i get to seven springs am i allowed to hike up the slopes do i have to pay for a ski lift ticket or etc etc . I guess i am asking am i allowed there or do i have to hike around it?

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Locale: Western PA

We just walked right across the slopes. People may look at you funny but it's no big deal.

Brian Kelly

@brik9876

Ok thanks

Mark Olah

@gorgar3141

Locale: New Mexico

I have done several trips on the LHT through the seven springs section in winter. Make sure to stop at the Seven Springs lodge on top of the mountain to warm up by the fire. The trail goes right by it. You can buy food in the upstairs, or eat your own downstairs at the picnic tables, although you should head out back if you want to use your stove.

Hang your food in the shelters. On one trip we brought a mouse trap. I caught 7 in one night.

I've never done that section with snow shoes but on one trip in particular they would have been worth it to take.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools