Topic

San Gorgonio October 27-28

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports San Gorgonio October 27-28

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Locale: Southern California

Vivian Creek Trail
    Trail description taken from http://www.sgwa.org/trails2.htm

"The trailhead is reached by turning east off Highway 38 to Forest Falls. Continue through Forest Falls to the top end (east end) of the picnic area at the end of the road (6,080').

The Vivian Creek Trail is the shortest and the steepest route to the summit of Mt. San Gorgonio. One and two-tenths miles from the trailhead is Vivian Creek Camp (7,100'). Campsites are located upslope to the right of the trail after reaching the stream: one is halfway up the slope, and the other is at the top of the slope (no camping within 200 feet of the trail or creek).

One and three-tenths miles from Vivian Creek Camp is Halfway Camp (8,100'). Water is obtained from the creek 200 yards before camp. Two and three-tenths miles further is High Creek Camp (water available – 9,200'). The summit of San Gorgonio (11,503') is 3 miles beyond High Creek"

After receiving a wilderness permit that allowed for my 2nd choice of camping at the summit of San Gorgonio I departed for the approximately 9 mile hike at approximately 7:00am. After hiking for several hours I spent a leisurely hour and a half at High Camp eating lunch and relaxing knowing that once I reached the summit there would be little to do but enjoy more rest and relaxation.

It was a perfect day with 60'-70' degree temps at day with 30' to 40's at night. Almost no wind as the weather moved from slight Santa Ana conditions to calm. It may have been 3-5 mph in the wee hours before dawn. It was quite cold however turning water in our bottles to partial ice. I quasi cowboy camped in one of the many circular stone wind breaks common on many summits. Setup camp with my Synmat UL7, Marmot Helium and ID bivy and was very comfortable. The almost full waxing moon was blindingly bright and I spent a partially sleepless night hiding my eyes from the moonlight. Morning could not come sooner and I was greeted with crystal clears skies and a beautiful sunrise. The hike back to the trail head was peaceful yet uneventful with occasional stops to assure folks going up to the summit that they were getting close.

Scott

http://photobucket.com/SanGorgonio

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools