Topic

MYOG rain mitts and snow gaiters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG rain mitts and snow gaiters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Recently I picked up some WPB 2.5 layer seconds material from Quest. With it I've made myself a pair of rain mitts, as well as some gaiters for snow. For the palms of the mitts and the reinforcements on the gaiters, I used some urethane coated 330d packcloth from Quest as well.

Mitts= 1.31oz pair
    mitts
    mit

Gaiters= 3.01oz pair
    gaiter
    gaiterss

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

I like those gaiters a lot! do they open up at all? did you come up with the pattern yourself?

Adie

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Hey, thanks! No, they don't open up. Just used elastic at the top to hold them up. I wanted to keep it simple for the first try at gaiters. I have plenty of fabric, and plan to try a more complicated pair of gaiters and mitts in the future. For the pattern; I traced my Integral Designs shortie gaiters onto paper and added an inch on each side and a little more than doubled the length. The hardest part of the gaiters was sewing the half-circle with the 330d packcloth. The rest was pretty straight forward

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Can you still put them on over your shoes/boots?

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

No, I'll have to take my boots off first. Shouldn't be a problem wearing them all day, the waterproof/breathable fabric is pretty decent stuff.

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

cool. sorry for all the questions, but about how tall are they, and how far up your calf do they go?

ps thats quite a sock collection you have going on there…

Adie

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

The gaiters came out to be 18" long, and they come up just below my knee.

I didn't realize I caught my sock pile in the background, lol. It was laundry day.

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Haha no worries,
    thanks for the info.

Adie

mister jarvey

@everest88

Are the packcloth reinforcements on the gaiters on both the inside and outside of each gaiter? What sort of string did you use? Also, where did you get the brass? circle pieces for your gaiters?

I like the simplicity of your design. I'd like my first myog project to be something simple, and it looks like gaiters might fit the bill.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made similar gaiters

Except no grommet or reinforcement on the bottom at all

I used 1.1 oz/square yard breathable nylon and a #3 zipper

I've used this for maybe 40 days. A small hole or two.

They say that weight on your feet is 5 (?) times worse than on your back so I have tried to minimize weight.

Breathable nylon isn't waterproof, but better to be breathable and water tends to run down them to the ground regardless. The gaiters tend to stay in place – except when I step through snow which they're not so good for

You might consider this – make your gaiters as simple as possible and add stuff in the next version.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools