Topic

Dessert night time food storage?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Dessert night time food storage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ben kohl

@benkohl

Locale: Northeast

I don't want to sleep with my food. But with no trees to hang from in So Cal I am worried about critters chewing through my food back. Any suggestions appreciated?

Ben

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies
    Janet Brewster

@jgranite25

Locale: Lake Tahoe

For small amounts of food, I've put it in my cooking pot and then covered the pot with rocks. I've had minimal luck doing the same thing but with a stuff sack instead of the pot. It left me with little nibble holes in the stuff sack, but my food wasn't destroyed.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Empty paint can.

Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

Hello,

A good bet is an Ursack with the odorproof liner.

Randy

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The people I hike with in the desert like to place their food bag in the middle of a cactus group, like prickly pair.

Jen Brandenberg

@simpleoutdoorsolutions

Here is a link to the Outsak manufacturers' website:

http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

What deserts in So Cal, and what locations?

Most parts of the lower Colorado and Mojave are sparse, which means not a lot of critters. Normally I leave my food next to me in a stuff sack or a freezer bag. Never have any problems. If I am sleeping in areas of thick vegetation or lots of Joshua trees, I might bring a Ursak.

Dave T

@davet

Jen Brandenberg

@simpleoutdoorsolutions

Grand Canyon critters are ruthless. I often hear them referred to as "grad school" ravens, squirrels, etc. due to their enormous success in raiding people's backpacks and other items.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Anyone experiences with critters in Zion and Southern Utah locales such as escalante? I've got an Ursack but it's heavy.

Jen Brandenberg

@simpleoutdoorsolutions

Southern Utah usually has rodents, ringtails, and skunks. Bears are sometimes in higher elevations

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Keep it simple, keep it with you. Ali

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Only problem I've ever had was 35 years ago on the upper Rio Grande, and it was a ringtail cat. Watched my Dad run around the shelter in his longjohns 3 times, and come back with a big bag of raisens. Something did eat a couple of holes in my son's hydration pack to get food in Zion last year.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Well, once you've stored your dessert, what do you do with the rest of your food?

:)

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

Just bought a lifetime's worth of pretzels at Costco. They come in the perfect sized lightweight plastic jugs. They hold 40 and 55 oz of pretzels, and weigh in just under 7oz. I'm hoping they keep the rodents at bay.

Anybody want a pretzel?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools