Topic

Tent for Tall People?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent for Tall People?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

I couldn't find other threads on this topic.

I'm 6'3" and I own an REI halfdome 2 & a fly creek UL2.

Both are too short when it rains, because I end up touching the ends of the tent and my bag gets wet.

I would like my next tent to be a tarp tent (probably a Contrail).

The problem is that 84" is not going to cut it.

What do other people do? Does Henry customize the tarp tents? What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

The long version could be what you're looking for…but it ain't cheap ;)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

84" is actually plenty if it is all useable. It isn't in most all tents. I had a contrail at one time and I remember it being plenty big inside. I have a gossamer gear spinnshelter with a yama gear(alpinlite) bug tent 1.5 and it has plenty of room. The bug tent is only 84" long but the walls are completly vertical so u get a "full" 84".

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

The LHG solong 6 will accommodate someone 6'8" or even a little taller! Awesome tent with tons of room, $295 for the sil version. I have one in cuben.

Judy does great work, check it out

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=13&zenid=2007bbc1a2c9326ca5489e6141828920

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Hilleberg Unna or Soulo. I own the Unna, the best solo tent I've ever used. Ample room for this 6'-4" camper.

MontBell Thunder Dome 2 – A two person tent at just over four pounds. Great all-around tent.

Stephenson's Warmlite 2R – 3 pounds for a spacious two person tent

The latter two are 2-man tents, which I find about right for a claustrophobic big guy. The Hilleberg Unna is the only solo shelter that I think is adequate for one big person.

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

I have an REI Quarter Dome 2+ that fits myself and my LW (long and wide) Exped air mat, along with my pack at the feet of the air mat, without issue. I should mention that I'm 6'4" so I feel your gigantic pain. I also manage to squeeze in my dog when it's just he and I versus myself and my girlfriend.

Actually come to think of it, the dog manages to squeeze into the tent even with her, I, and our two air mats. D*mn that dog is spoiled.

Ryan Weisenbach

@rweisen

Locale: Ozarks

I'm 6'4" and have a contrail. It'll work fine for you.

There are also a couple of similar threads to the question you asked.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation
    Max B

@mxbenson

Locale: PNW

I shared my lunar duo with a friend who is 6'4 and he didn't touch either end by a few inches. . . again a two person tent.

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

I should add that my only complaint (other than that it isn't <1 pound) with my Quarter Dome 2+ is that by comparison to the Half Dome 2+ that I returned in favor of the Quarter, is that the doors on the Half were a lot easier to get in and out of as a big guy. The problem with the tear-drop shaped doors that make entry/exit tough is that half of the available space falls under the vestibule and the remaining half doesn't utilize the corner.

Oh and I should also point out that the Half Dome 2+ is about 4" longer than the Quarter. Headroom at the end (while sleeping) felt about the same or a little less than the Quarter Dome, but foot-room was obviously better for the gear/dog. I ended up trading up to the Quarter Dome because the fly drained onto the mesh of the door when you opened the vestibule, and because the Quarter is lighter.

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

I own a half dome 2. That thing is like 7.5 lbs with the footprint!! I'm looking for an option under 2 lbs. I'm leaning towards a Contrail.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I am 6'4" and was recommended the Rainbow by Franco the Australia guy who distributes for TarPtent(?). Man I have enough room in that thing to sit up properly, get changed, move around, and use my backpack as a pillow above me no probs at all. If you got stuck in bad weather you could cook and even share the shelter with someone to pass the time better. I LOVE the shelter!!! I have never experienced moisture build up in any of my previous shelters and I must say it was a leap of faith buying a single skin shelter having to worry about the possibility of dew dripping on me. This Shelter is big inside and very very well ventilated I doubt condensation will be an issue in the realms I want to use it in. Quality is very good. Can be free standing with a couple sticks or walking poles. I can see how the structure would be strong enough with snow loading if it were to snow. Love it.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

As Bradford mentioned the GG Spinnshelter would be long enough and with a long bugnet inner could fit the bill.

I am 6' and find I have more than a foot of length to spare.

I see that the Spinshelter isn't being offerred on the GG site anymore.

The MLD Patrol is very similar, except the type of front beak and is almost the same length. Available in silnylon and two different types of cuben.

Many companies will make bug inner nets that will fit you and these shelters.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools