Topic

Aldo Leopold Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Aldo Leopold Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Q Smith
    BPL Member

@neotechktc-com-2-2

Locale: Texas Hill Country

Aldo Leopold Wilderness – Aspen Trail and Black Canyon Trail

I just returned from the Gila Mountains in southwestern New Mexico and wanted to share what we experienced.

Executive Summary – for all you backpacking execs
    Even though the area is in an extended drought, it is beautifully forested with abundant Ponderosa pines, Douglass firs, alligator juniper, maples and aspen. The maples and aspen were golden, though we missed their peak color by a week, maybe two weeks. We didn’t see a lot of animals (we tend to be loud and slow) but saw signs of bear, big cats, fox, wolves, and elk. We did see mule deer and many Abert’s squirrels (big as house cats with gorgeous silver, gray, white and black fur). One of our crew is a birder and saw several birds, including woodpeckers and jays, that cannot be found in Texas – that is about all I can offer concerning the birds. He was pretty busy and seemed excited about the birds he saw…

Part 1 – getting to the Black Canyon Trail
    We started at the Continental Divide Scenic National Trail Head (T 75) near Lincoln Tank, about 15 miles past the Mimbres Ranger Station. The trail head has plenty of parking, a corral, and level camping sites. We saw some large cat prints here…
    trail head sign

The first leg was north from the trail head until we reached the Signboard Saddle. This climb was moderate (up 1,000’ over 3 miles) on dry, rocky trails with some shade provided by pine trees and alligator juniper. The top provided many panoramic views of the Continental Divide to the east and the Gila Wilderness to the west. Near the top you get into maples and we saw several golden colored trees. Far to our east we could see wide swaths of golden trees on the hills.
    short maples

Soon after reaching the Signboard Saddle you begin a down slope to a crossing with the Continental Divide Trail in a grassy, park like area completely shaded by towering Ponderosa pines and Douglas firs. From here it is 5 miles to the Black Canyon Trail. This is thick forest. Notice that I have not mentioned water? On the down slope to the Black Canyon Trail you cross a creek dozens of times, and if it is raining this might be a challenge, but it was completely dry for us. We each carried about a gallon of water which was justified on this 80 degree day. Eventually we arrived at a spot where the Black Canyon Trail and a running creek came together. To quote one adventurer: “paradise”. The trees were towering, the water was cold and clear, the ground was level and grassy.
    stream at black canyon trail

That night we set up a comfortable camp with a plenty of fire wood and a pre-built fire ring. The sun set about 7:15, but was out of sight as early as 5:30. As soon as the sun dropped behind the surrounding hills the air began to cool. The breeze was light and stopped at dark, but we could feel cold, fresh air coming down from Reed’s Peak. We soon huddled around a nice fire and admired the perfect sky. That night the temp dropped more than we expected, 29 degrees, and one of our water bladders froze!! A nice break from the Texas heat… The next morning we had enough light to move around by 7:15 AM though the sun did not hit us directly until 8:45 or so.
    ice

Part 2 – going to the ranch
    Our maps showed an abandoned ranch 4 miles south of our camp site, so we made a leisurely day trip to the ranch and back – actually we stopped a tad short of the ranch so I can’t tell you what to expect at the ranch. This was a very easy day hike with only 200’ of elevation change. We crossed the creek dozens of times both ways – so no need to carry water! This is a wonderful valley formed by high ridges on both sides, sky high trees, lots of maples, grassy areas, and plenty of wildlife. There were many notable cliffs and a few caves. This is where we saw a herd of mule deer, ducks, squirrels, woodpeckers, many jays and assorted other birds. I was a tad disappointed that we didn’t see any brook trout…
    cave in black canyon

Part 3 – heading out
    Sadly we had to return, but before leaving, on our last night, we were treated to the sounds of a lone howling wolf and a pack of yipping coyotes.. We never saw them, but they were close by. For our return we simply back tracked so there is not much to add – except for viewing a Sonoran Spiny Lizard – which was kinda cool… I would add this, many sights look different on the trail back due to angle and sunlight. So, even though I have a loop bias, backtracking has some advantages.
    lizzard

Close
    This is very lightly traveled country. If you want to experience beautiful old forests, and little interaction with humanity, consider hiking the Aldo Leopold Wilderness.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Thanks for posting. I looked into doing this area a while back and it seemed like NOBODY had been there. I guess the Gila is better known. Searching on the internet and BPL turned up almost no info.

Q Smith
    BPL Member

@neotechktc-com-2-2

Locale: Texas Hill Country

Luke,

I posted this because I had the same experience. The rangers weren't even much help. Couldn't tell us for sure if we would find water. I like rangers that know their stuff from backpacking the trails they support…

I didn't show the panoramic views but there are many of those as well. You can see the Continental Divide and it is excellent.

continental divide

Q

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Thanks for the report. That looks like some awesome forest. Gotta get down there sometime.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Great little write up. The Mimbres drainage is well-known out here* but less write ups since the neighboring Gila and (up north) the Pecos are bigger draws (add that the deep Aldo Leopold is often drier and the Gila is only just a little bit more gasoline). In Spring, it can get damp and gloomy but with abundant wild turkeys that won't spook immediately (for your bird-watching friend).

Some old maps do not show the withdrawn private property south of the trailhead specified in the trip report above, so don't go too far south on the Mimbres.

(ed: add)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools