Topic

Windshirt question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Windshirt question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I agree with most of the comments, especially Dan's. Here is my take on it:

A windshirt is not necessary. I always carry the following while backpacking:

1) T-Shirt
    2) Puffy Jacket (synthetic, but down would work as well)
    3) Propore Rain Gear

This will provide protection from rain, cold, wind and bugs. In other words, I can survive and be reasonably comfortable with this gear. The puffy jacket weighs less than fleece. The Propore is very light, breathes really well, and is extremely waterproof. A tarp would be lighter, but not provide bug protection. So, as far as I know, this setup is the lightest setup that will provide protection from rain, cold, wind and bugs. There are flaws with this system though:

1) It is easy to be stuck "in between" hot and cold. It may be too hot for the puffy jacket, but too cold to go without it.
    2) Propore is extremely fragile.
    3) While Propore breathes well, it is not as breathable as most windshirts.

A windshirt fills in these gaps at a very low weight penalty (2 or 3 ounces in men's large). Putting a puffy jacket over a windshirt is only done for convenience.

Since I hike in the Pacific Northwest, I do a lot of day hiking. While day hiking, I carry the following:

1) T-Shirt
    2) Fleece Jacket
    3) Propore Rain Gear

Fleece breathes much better than a puffy jacket. It therefore has a much bigger comfort range. As a result, I don't need anything for "in between" temperatures. However, using Propore as my wind and bug protection is still just as flawed. I would hate to rip up my Propore jacket just to save a couple ounces, especially since I don't care as much about weight when I go for a day hike (which is why I carry fleece instead of a puffy jacket).

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

All questions will be answered tomorrow.

;)

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

I like the Propore too. Waterproof, breathable, yellow. I am wondering if there is still a place for a wind shirt in my pack.

Tell me I am back in fashion Dave!

Damn Good Looking

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Hey Gary

In my opinion, a wind shirt is a luxury item.
    I could easily go on a trip without one and be all right. But the comfort I get is worth the weight. I have experimented a lot with wind shirts over the last 3 years, bringing it on one trip, and leaving it at home the next, and so on for 3 years. My findings are that it's always worth the weight, except below 0 degrees C, where a shell is worn all the time without me getting overheated.

/Peter

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I find the windshirt to possibly even more valuable in cold weather. It might be due to the fact that in cold weather I'm snowshoeing or x-country skiing (or trail running)- typically high output activities where I would quickly overwhelm any hard shell.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

In the summer I never wear a windshirt while in the process of backpacking; too hot! But I'm mostly in the Sierras. If it's raining I want my event shell;a windshirt is no good in real rain. In the winter, I find that my windshirt doesn't provide enough warmth or real wind protection; unlike Mike I once again prefer my Rab Demand in wind or especially if it's snowing. I tried my Houdini while skate skiing and found that I prefer just a light base and an R1 type fleece. Maybe in a cold snow a windshirt over fleece would shine while nordic skiing; I've used event hardshells while skiing in falling snow and they work great for me. Downhills especially help regulate internal moisture. If I'm going to be snowshoeing for several hours in falling snow I want a real hardshell!

Again, I recognize that I may be missing something here. People love love love their windshirts; maybe I just need to push my Houdini's limits.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Pretty simple, really.

Baselayer + Hardshell = too warm
    Baselyer = too cold
    Baselayer + Windshirt = just right
    Baselayer + Fleece = just right, but much heavier
    Baselayer + Fleece + above treeline winds = too cold
    Baselayer + Windshirt + above treeline winds = just right

Sizing and wearing a windshirt over a down jacket is stupid.

It makes absolutely no sense:
    1) use your hardshell to protect your down jacket, it's more durable than a windshirt
    2) a hardshell's lack of breathability is not a problem when you're not exerting yourself (and wearing a down jacket)
    3) a loose-fitting windshirt over a baselayer leaks and flaps in the wind, a tight-fitting one works much better
    4) removing a windshirt to put on your down jacket means you loose all that heat as soon as you take it off – for arriving and leaving camp, this sucks

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools