Topic

Help on a MYOG Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help on a MYOG Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

A long time ago I started a MYOG project with some of MLD's higher quality silnylon. I sewed two peices together for a tarp but I used too big a needle and I doubt the stitching is supper durable.

Anyone have an idea of how I would reinforce the ridge line to make it stronger? Taping perhaps?

Green Thumb

@greenthumb

I'm not sure if you want to do this, but you could rip the seam and re-sew it with more seam allowance.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

My machine does not handle silnylon very well so I'm really not inclined to do that. The seam is okay its just that the needle drilled it full of holes that show up whenever you tug lightly on either side of it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Glue on a strip of silnylon with silicone:mineral spirits

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

You could sew grosgrain ribbon along the length of the seam -use ribbon wide enough to span past the existing stitching, and sew along both sides very close to the edge of the ribbon. Important to apply some tension to stretch the fabric somewhat as you sew on the ribbon, otherwise you'll never get e tight pitch because the ridge will get tight while the rest of the fabric is still slack.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

Locale: Cascadia

Luke, post a photo of the seam. We need to see what there is to work with.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Glue on a strip of silnylon with silicone:mineral spirits
    YES

:mineral spirits
    NO, not for this application

More info here

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Okay, maybe not mineral spirits : )

I was remembering your article – somewhat surprising that just silicone works so well

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Dave
    Thanks but I can't find a camera at the moment. Its a normal "felled" seam, sewn, then folded over and sewn again. The seam on the outside of the fold is the problem, that is where holes appear.

Jerry and Jim
    I'd forgotten about that article. I think I'll try gluing a strip on top first. It solves the problem an if it doesn't work I can try something else.

Thanks guys, I've got some ideas to work with. If I feel like its going to be more trouble then its worth then I may use half of this project for a bivy bottom and the other half for a pair of rain pants. These are things I actually need more then a new tarp at the moment so we'll see what I end up with.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Try to stretch it as you're glueing it. Maybe hold a section under stress and then press down the strip firmly and then if it relaxes a little, the strip will just go with it

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks for the tip Jerry. If I come up with anything really cool I'll try to post pics for you guys.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

One methode that Don Ladigin told me was to use a small irregation syringe and slowly just feed a small, as in tiny, bead of silicone along the seam. I have used it on a couple streached tarps, it migt work where you have used too large of a needle.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools