Topic

To D ring or Not to D ring

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear To D ring or Not to D ring

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Green Thumb

@greenthumb

A couple of months ago, I completed my first MYOG tarp. I've spent several weekends in it and have been happy. I do realize that I need to change the tie outs. I initially use some 1.5mm cord sewn in a loop between a sandwich of silnylon layers. One of the loops on a ridge tie out popped loose during high winds. I was able to make due with a small rock tied in the nylon (not optimal but it held).
    I am going to sewn in some 1/2 inch grosgrain loops to replace the 1.5mm cord.

My question: Do I use small plastic D rings or is a loop of 1/2 inch grosgrain sufficient?

>Pictures of tarp

Pitched at Ivestor Gap NC

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

I have made a few tarps, and from my experience, and from reading these forums for a few years, no one seems to use d rings. What I do like using is line locs!

they make life very easy…or maybe I am just lazy.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml scroll down to lineloc 3

Adie

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I really like using LineLocs. Small weight penalty for a serious increase in function.

Green Thumb

@greenthumb

It didn't even occur to me to use LineLocs. It should have been a no brainer. Way easier than the tautline hitch i've been using.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

lineloc 3 (i assume that is what you meant) are AWESOME – i have them on my trailstar etc…

BUT please not that there are variable accounts of their holding power and cord slippage using various types of cord (see my post on the gear forum and many others)
    your tarp isnt that big so i assume it wont be so bad – but i would be weary of using anything below 3mm cord on the ridges.

Some people report slippage even with 3mm and reason that flat ribbon should work better (zpacks has some on his site)

YMMV

Mike

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Looks like you are going to use linelocs but while we are on the subject….

I tried some simple 1/2" D rings and found they are very difficult to sew onto webbing in a way that will keep them in position. The straight side of the D won't stay in the webbing loob unless you can sew it with a line of thread very very close to the straight side.

The ones shown below are a better design and solve the rotating D ring problem (scroll down to D rings).

here

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Yes, by all means look at Ron Bell's recent post about line-locs on the GEAR forum.
    Very informative.

For D rings, I use a narrow foot with an even narrower prong on the right-hand side. This usually works. Sometimes a zipper foot works even better, but is hard to get to work on webbing. Ordered a bunch of the stronger D rings from DIY Gear Supply. Much better.

Green Thumb

@greenthumb

I'm digging those D-rings. Thanks for the tip. I added linelocs last weekend. I'm heading out for a short trip just after Thanksgiving. I'll snap some pictures and give a report on how I liked the linelocs. I did a quick setup in the yard to reseal the spots where I sewed the new tieouts and added grosgrain loops. I liked the quick adjustment of the linelocs over continually moving stakes around.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools