Topic

Down loft, heat, warmth, other info

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Down loft, heat, warmth, other info

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

I have been searching forever, I know ive seen it but I cant find it. How much loft equals how much heat? Loft and temperature ratings? trying to get an idea on how much down i need to buy for the quilt im going to make.

thanks
    Jeff

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Jeff, there is no simple answer. Some of the best minds in this field disagree. Witness this thread, it contains the estimations you are looking for:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=5625&disable_pagination=1

My advice is use the single layer loft/temp ratio of a respected bag maker such as Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, or for a comparable bag at lower cost, Montbell. This comparison would be reasonably valid if you are using comparable fill and bag shape.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Here is a table for Western Mountaineering lofts. They are double layer lofts (top and bottom added together) so if you halve the values you have an idea of what is needed just on top.
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&viewpost=2&ContentId=27

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Great thread Brett, thanks.

How about ounces to loft thickness?

quoted from thru-hiker "800+ fill power means that one ounce of down will occupy at least 800 cubic inches."

So how much loft would that be spread out over 800 cubic inches?

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Thanks Steve. My brother just got the Bison for his upcoming trip to Denali(lucky). I have to say that is the best sleeping bag I have ever seen, just hurt his pocket book alot.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

800 cubic inches is a measure of the volume the 1 ounce of down occupies. Therefore, if you had a baffle compartment had an area of 20 inches by 20 inches (400 inches sqaure), an ounce of 800 fp down would give that area a loft of 2 inches (400 in^2* 2 in= 800 in^3). If you have a quilt, like the JRB No Sniveller that is 48"x78" and want 2" of loft, then you find the volume that you will be filling and divide that by the fill power of the down (ci/oz) to find the amount of down (in ounces) that would be needed. So in the case of the NS, 78*48*2=7488 ci. 7488/800= 9.36 oz of down. They use 10 oz of down to really puff it up and give it a bit of an overstuff.
    I made a down quilt last weekend actually and wanted it to be good down to about 30-35*. After looking at all the specs of a variety of quilts and lightweight bags I decided I would be fine with 2" of loft. My quilt had a volume of 7068 ci, so I would need 8.8 oz of down. I ordered 9 oz to account for loss while I was stuffing.
    I hope this helped clear things up a little.

Adam

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

perfect Adam. Sometimes reading all these oz/loft/in/ci and so on just drains my logical thought process. Thanks for shedding some light

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools