Topic

Cross Country Loop Around Mt. Darwin via Haeckel Col & Darwin Col

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Cross Country Loop Around Mt. Darwin via Haeckel Col & Darwin Col

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks, Tom. I printed out a set of maps for that exact plan this morning. :)

Another plan that looks good to me is Piute Pass  > Puppet Pass > French Canyon > Merriam Lake > Feather Pass > White Bear Pass > Lake Italy > JMT > Piute Pass. I’ve solicited a few opinions on this plan as well and the consensus seems indicate this would be a reasonable choice as well  I’d be interested in any thoughts you have on the topic as well.

My current plan is to show up at the Inyo office in Bishop and cross my fingers hoping that we can get a walkup permit for either Piute or Bishop Pass. If neither of those work out we will use our current permit and explore the heck out of Sabrina Basin poking around the various off-trail destinations such as Blue Heaven Lake, Bottleneck Lake, the approach to Haeckel Col, etc.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“I’d be interested in any thoughts you have on the topic as well.”

I haven’t hiked in that area, Matthew, so I can’t reliably comment on it.  I’ve gone over it a number of times on maps, and it looks very interesting, but that is a whole different thing from boots on the ground.

“My current plan is to show up at the Inyo office in Bishop and cross my fingers hoping that we can get a walkup permit for either Piute or Bishop Pass. If neither of those work out we will use our current permit and explore the heck out of Sabrina Basin poking around the various off-trail destinations such as Blue Heaven Lake, Bottleneck Lake, the approach to Haeckel Col, etc.”

Sabrina Basin has a lot of nooks and crannies to poke around in, so you wouldn’t be wasting your time there.  Finding your way up from Midnight Lake to the ridge at the beginning of the approach to Haekel Col would be an interesting exercise in and of itself.  Following it up a ways from there would also be fun.  I know we enjoyed it.  It would be a good preview for the real thing in the near future.  Also, sussing out the route from Hungry Packer/Moon up to Echo Col would also be fun.  A day hike up to Table Mountain, above George Lake is another fun trip.  But all of these are consolation prizes.  I hope you get your permit for either Bishop or Piute Pass.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks again, Tom. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. :)

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Hi Matthew,

I just wanted to second what Tom (and the good folks at HST) recommended, to save Haeckel Col for another trip after you have a little more experience with x/c passes.

Your alternate is a lot of fun. I have been over Piute, Puppet, Feather and White Bear passes and they cover some beautiful terrain. The passes are in order of difficulty, starting with the easiest and ending with the most difficult. All three of the x/c passes are easiest to approach in the direction you mentioned, but the downhill sides can be a little tricky. Just follow the ledge systems. . .

Humphreys Basin, Merriam Lake, all of the lakes in Bear Lakes Basin and the incredible waterfalls along the outlet of Lake Italy are definitely worth the effort.

If it would be helpful I can send a few maps with the route details for each of the xc passes. Have fun!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Andy, I would like to see your maps! I just sent you a PM with my email address. Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools