Topic

NeoAir Xtherm (2nds) $153 at Backcountrygear.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals NeoAir Xtherm (2nds) $153 at Backcountrygear.com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Justin Tadych

@oshburg

Locale: Midwest
    Robert H

@roberth

Large smarge. Thanks ;)

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

Thank you for the heads up, I had really been wanting one of these.

Andrew Jennings
    BPL Member

@breaktheshoal

Locale: West of the Mississippi

Thanks for the heads up, Justin! Do you think you could let us know what the defect appears to be when you get yours (assuming you bought one). I'm sure it's just cosmetic, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Thanks!

Justin Tadych

@oshburg

Appears the logo was not square and the stitching does not run straight down the pad, it runs at a slight angle. Hard to explain, Ill try and upload a picture later tonight.

Justin Tadych

@oshburg

Here is what it looks like.Xtherm Seconds

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

if you are talking about the lines that run from top to bottom of the neoair, i dont think that is a defect? just looks like that is how it was folded? are those really seams?

Justin Tadych

@oshburg

Hmmm… they looked like seams, but now that you mention folding, it doesn't make sense that the xtherm would have seams. So I guess in terms of defects the logo is really the only thing that I can see; however, I don't have any direct comparison, I can only compare it to the original neo air that I have. Wish I could be more helpful. I can note that the Large width dimensions of 25" seems generous as fully inflated and measured it seems closer to 23-23.5 inches of usable surface.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Thanks for the heads-up on this Justin.

I just ordered one.

I will take pictures of mine once it shows up.

Abela

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

On mine, there is a little round spot that looks sort of like a patch, but I think they were just trying to cover up a blemish. Either way, it works fine. Camped on it this weekend.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

NeoAir XTherm, 2nd

Those are the only two aspects of my NeoAir XTherm 2nd that I can find anywhere on the sleeping pad.

Given the normal price tag of $219.95, the $153.97 that I paid for this is awesome!!

I have had it inflated since I got mine, spent about 45 minutes total taking a nap on it yesterday, and so far it has stayed totally inflated without needing to add any additional air since it was originally inflated.

110 grams (3.88 ounces) heavier than my NeoAir XLite Large.
    2.5 higher R-value than a NeoAir XLite Large.
    70D bottom material rather than 30D on the XLite.

Everything about this pad really is making this a leader in the inflatable air pads world for winter time use.

Plan on attaching some velcro straps to it and then a zpacks pillow this weekend. Will be interested to see how the cf tape sticks to the top of the XTherm.

On a comfort level: It is seriously more comfortable than the Klymit Static V and oddly it even seems to be more comfortable than the NeoAir XLite – I think this might be a result of the slightly heavier material providing a slightly more ridged pad, but just a theory at this point.

As a side sleeper, I have yet to bottom out on it. I do bottom out on my XLite, which is the same thickness, so perhaps the slightly heavier material is actually proving to be a bit better, even given the additional 100 grams or so it adds. Again, just a theory at this point, need to get it onto the trail for a couple weeks to really know how it will do.

I was sitting around yesterday pondering on how it would do in a hot weather environment. Suspect it might cause you to overheat from the additional r-value, but if it has the ability to not increase your core temp while using it in a hot weather environment than this could pose to be the best all year around sleeping pad out there – from a numbers perspective.

I am thinking my game plan for using this pad this winter is going to be:

The AMK SOL Emergency Blanket at an unknown r-value (been testing this as a ground cloth since it was released and so far very impressed with it)

GossamerGear ThinLight 1/8th at ~.45 R-value

And on top of those would be the XTherm. This setup should give me a decent bit of protection and a bit of additional r-value.

Abela

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools