Topic

system to tie iPhone to my belt-loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear system to tie iPhone to my belt-loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

On long hikes, I have a tendency to lose things. So I've found ways to attach everything to my pack or to my clothing. I'll try to post a few solutions, starting with this one.

I've got a cheap basic case for my iPhone. On top of that case, I have my own no-bling system. Using tubes for 1.5" bicycle tires, I cut rings of about 3/4". Wrap those around the top and bottom of my iPhone. Then, use the tubes to anchor an attachment string with a clip at the end. I've used this now during ~15 weeks of hiking, and all around town too. This does a few things for me…

1. The tubes cover the part of the glass screen which is not part of the active display, giving a little protection in case I drop it.
    2. The top tube covers the camera lens. Advantage is that the lens is protected. Disadvantage is that I have to remove the tube each time I take a picture; this isn't a big deal.
    3. The tubes wrap around the rounded corners of the phone, which is the place that takes a direct hit if I drop the phone, so there's a bit more protection from damage during a fall.
    4. Most important – the tubes are a very snug fit, so they really anchor the string. The phone is always clipped to a belt-loop or a loop of cord that I've sewn into the top of my pants pocket. a) I don't lose the dang phone, and b) if I drop it then it only falls as far as my knees. Key here is to use tubes for 1.5" tire – fatter tubes would be a sloppy fit, and thinner tubes wouldn't be large enough.

Maybe I'll bring a tube to GGG #5 at Coe in January and people can cut pieces from it :)

iphone-string1

iphone-string2

iphone-string3

Robert Connor
    BPL Member

@bplnole

Locale: N E Fl

very nice job.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I have mixed reactions. I love your original thinking on this. I recently got an iPhone 4 used and worry about dropping it when backpacking.

On the other hand, I love the slick styling of the iPhone and haven't been able to get myself to put any case on it for in town use.

For backpacking I googled for a wrist strap case and came up empty. You've obviously gone for function over fab Apple-ness. Way to go!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools