Topic

San Gorgonio via Vivian Creek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips San Gorgonio via Vivian Creek

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Locale: Southern California

Anyone up for a one nighter this coming weekend October 27/28?

Vivian Creek trailhead to High Creek camp Sat.
    High Creek Camp to San G summit and back to Vivian Creek Trailhead Sunday. I have reliable transportation and keep a fair pace. Training for a Whitney trip on Nov. 12-14. if anyone is interested in that as well.

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

I will be at the trailhead at 6:00 am tomorrow morning if anyone is up for a nice hike. 9.3 miles to the summit. The weather should be epic…just like New England??

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Did you snap any shots?

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Hi ErIc

I took several with a small instamatic and my Galaxy II. I ended up sleeping on the summit which was quite spectacular due to the recent Santa Ana winds. I will add a link to my Photobucket account in this evening.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Ha ha ha!! Did you sleep right on the summit, tucked in next to the rock wall? I did that once and darn near blew off the mountain, but for the minor windbreak from the rocks. Impressive winds whip up over Big George!

Scott Pickard

@gon2srf

Almost no wind as the weather moved from slight Santa Ana conditions to calm. It may have been 3-5 mph in the wee hours before dawn. It was quite cold however turning water in our bottles to partial ice. I quasi cowboy camped with my Synmat UL7, Marmot Helium and ID bivy and was very confortable. The waxing moon was blindingly bright.

f you go to Google Earth you can see the two stone windbreaks we utilized. They are just southeast of the summit. On GE the one occupied by a red tent and the other to the east are them. Google Earth both amazes and scares me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools