Topic

Considering Minimalist Footwear for Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Considering Minimalist Footwear for Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Howard E. Friedman

@hefriedman

Locale: New York/New Jersey

I wrote a short article exploring the topic of barefoot hiking for Trail Walker, published by the NY/NJ Trail Conference (http://www.nynjtc.com/files/trailwalker/2011/ja11.pdf -the article is on page 11). I cited four studies. One from Rush Medical Center reported a decrease in pressure on the knees when switching from thick heeled shoes to barefoot walking. This finding was corroborated by other researchers as well. Other studies, including the most well known by Daniel Lieberman from Harvard published in Nature a few years ago identified a significant decrease in force under the heel when running barefoot, in addition to a decreased stride length compared to running in traditional shoes.

But in an email exchange I had with Dr. Lieberman he did concede that even native barefoot runners when walking strike the ground with the heel first. So backpacking, which depends on walking, not running, may not accrue the same benefits from minimalist footwear as running does.

That being said, more recent studies have definitely measured a decrease in oxygen consumption for every 100 gm decrease in weight on the feet regardless of type of shoes worn, although the decrease in O2 has not been shown to be statistically significant in most studies. One study (Metabolic Cost of Running Barefoot versus Shod, Franz, Corbryn, et. al, Medicine and Science in Sports Exercise 2012) concluded that shod running has a lower oxygen consumption than barefoot running. Although two other studies concluded that minimally shod or barefoot runners are more "economical" in energy use or have a decreased "perceived exertion" rate (Perl, Lieberman, Effects of Footwear and Strike Type on Running Economy, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2012, and Hanson, Berg et al, Oxygen Cost of Running Barefoot vs Running Shod, International Journal of Sports Medicine, June 2011).

So the benefit from minimalist footwear for backpackers will most likely come from the decrease in weight since walkers/hikers/backpackers are most likely heel striking anyway. And no study that I have seen with the exception of the ones detailing the cost of increased weight on oxygen consumption have been overwhelming in either direction. Some of the benefits are likely personal preference, like being able to feel the terrain better, and maybe even avoiding ankle sprains due to the increased proprioception of the ground.

I personally have had good results with FiveTen Guide Tennies which have a fairly low heel drop, are relatively light weight (1.5 lbs for men's size 10.5), have good traction and are re-soleable. And I have had a good experience running in New Balance MT100s. (And, I have experienced injuries in both pairs of minimalist shoes as well as in Vasque Sundowner boots!)

Richard Colfack
    BPL Member

@richfax

Locale: ARIZONA

Thank you Ryan! Finally, an article that does not preach the wonders and miracles of "barefoot running and hiking". I've been waiting for this for a long time.

The most overused argument for barefoot shoes is humans evolved barefoot and therefore shoes are bad. We also evolved without penicillin, pants, cars, toothpaste, computers, toilets, chairs, and just about everything else. Cavemen lived to the ripe old age of how old? Or I hear anectodal evidence about the one guy finishing an ultramarathon barefoot therefore everyone should be able to run a ultramarathon sans shoes. Or, you need 3 months, 6 months, even 2 years of breaking in your feet before they will properly adjust to barefoot shoes and the large painful blood blisters will go away. If I left clothespins on my eyelids for 2 years I guess I would adjust to it, but that doesn't mean I want to.

I wonder how many pairs of Five Fingers are sitting unused in closets because reality for many owners has set in.

Edit..A year and half later…Vibram settles $3.5M class action lawsuit.
    Class action members who purchased a pair of FiveFingers shoes after March 2009 can submit valid claim forms to receive a partial refund of up to $94 per pair, although Runner's World says the likely payout per person will be between $20 and $50, based on similar settlements in the past.

The second part of the court settlement bars Vibram from making future claims about the health benefits of its shoes.

"Vibram will not make … any claims that FiveFingers footwear are effective in strengthening muscles or preventing injury unless that representation is true, non-misleading and is supported by competent and reliable scientific evidence," the federal settlement says, according to Vox.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Thank you for a thought provoking article. It was interesting to note that some readers interpreted this as affirmation of, and others as condemnation of the minimalist movement. Although I did not agree with all conclusions, I thought it was a well considered approach to matching the level of foot protection to the anticipated conditions. Admittedly, as one whose running has benefited greatly from transition to minimalism, I tend to fall on the lesser side of that equation, with trail gloves (wide) as my preferred footwear for running, hiking, and daily life.

I was interested in your assessment of the Altra lone peaks. The new balance MT101 is my current compromise for times when I need a stiffer sole, or for winter conditions (sized up 1 1/2 sizes) in conjunction with snowshoes or crampons. Sounds like the Altras may fit my needs better in those situations. Thoughts?

aarn tate
    BPL Member

@aarndesign

Great article Ryan. Your insights should help manufacturers design better minimalist footwear for lightweight hikers.

The increase in forward lean when carrying a backpack, compared to normal walking is well documented. The increase is least when walking downhill, moderate when walking on flat ground and maximum when walking uphill. The faster you go, the more the forward lean. So when going from walking to running the forward lean will increase.

If we consider walking under load, the further the center of gravity of the load from is from your back, the greater the forward lean, the greater the energy needed to carry a given weight and the greater the strain on the body according to research.

Balancing the weight in front and behind with an Aarn Bodypack gives a much more upright posture, takes the leverages off your spine and shoulders and significantly reduces energy consumption and body pain for a given weight. Gait patterns have also been shown to be more natural.

So how does this relate to minimalist footwear? My experience :

I have hiked in varied terrain in Five Fingers, Trail Gloves and Inov 8 and find a very easy transition from walking with no load and walking with a fully counterbalanced in an Aarn Bodypack using minimalist footwear. Loads have been up to 20kg on 8 day trans-alpine traverses with mountaineering equipment. I find I consume far less energy when climbing and can move faster with less effort (compared to when I use boots). At the end of the day there is less fatigue in legs and feet. Best is the Five Fingers with the wide toe spread, but the big limitation is susceptibility to cold. The Inov 8s have the best tread patterns.

I am still looking for a minimalist solution which works for snow and using crampons. I hate having to use boots in these conditions.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

As someone who has been consistently been wearing barefoot shoes I felt my head nodding at just about every paragraph in this article, great write up.

One of my biggest disagreements with the article was the rating the NB MT00's received on cushioning. They have more cushion then I need for daily wear and day hikes. They feel just right for backpacking (to me). I feel that the MT00's are a great warmer weather backpacking shoe in all regards other than, even in 4E width, the toe box is slightly constricted. They ARE NOT a suitable winter shoe. At 4.5oz per shoe, you can imagine that there isn't much to these things. There is no room to wear a thick wool sock as Ryan said in his article, which is turning me on to the Lone Peaks.

All opinions are subjective in these reviews and I respect that. I'm convinced that what I use is the best, because it works the best for me. Try them yourself and be the judge.

Here is what I use:

*Everyday wear (walking/running on pavement) = Altra Adams (preferred for a truly barefoot sole & max toe splay), VFF's (I like the Bikila LS for walking/running)

*Day Hiking/Trail Running = VFF Treksport (preferred for max toe splay), New Balance MT00

*Backpacking = New Balance MT00 (Plenty of cushion and great tread)

These are the minimalist shoes I use consistently after trying MOST of them. I would like to know more about Vivo Barefoot shoes since I have not seen much feedback on them. I will try them first hand eventually, until then.

I would not recommend Merrell Trail Gloves to the people asking above. They are narrow throughout and the toe box is very constricting, causing your toe splay to be inhibited. This can result in early discomfort, pain in the forefoot and decreased balance.

Thanks for the write up… I actually made a post in GEAR a couple days back about Barefoot shoes and Backpacking. Nice to see this on the front page.

Cheers,
    Dan

Kenneth C Herbst

@transdimensional

Locale: The Alamo City

Whether or not one accepts every point the author puts forth, this was a very thought-provoking and nicely written article.

Questions by the readers have been illuminating as well.

Which is all to say…thanks!

You've helped me look at the bio-mechanics of running vs. hiking in an entirely new way.

– Ken

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Ryan's theories are interesting and thought provoking. I'm interested to see studies on the issue to see whether his hypotheses hold up.

Now for my mostly useless-to-others anecdotal and very personal evidence: Been wearing minimalist shoes for everything (work, play, hike, run) for the last 4 years. 2011 JMT was the last time I wore anything with any cushion or even slight heel, and it was very minimal (NB 790 trail flats). This year backpacked all summer (3 multi-day trips) in Vivobarefoot Breathos (mesh no heel minimalist trail runners) and loved every minute of it. Now that I wear minimalist shoes for everything all the time my feet almost never get tired (big change for me). (The rest of me, unfortunately, still wears out, and quicker every year!) Also, I share Ryan's experience of flat foot issues disappearing entirely now that my feet are much stronger, particularly in the arch. I plan to put my Breathos to the test next summer with a much longer duration hike. Side note: I can't even wear shoes with any arch support anymore. My feet rebel. Moderate cushioning if even from front to back would probably not pose a problem, though I feel like I'm on stilts when I wear anything with significant cushioning. Close to the ground feel definitely feels easier no matter how rocky or rooty the trail. And having a toe guard is still critical to avoid the stubbed toe issue, which is why I wear minimalist mesh trail runners and not sandals.

David Newberger
    BPL Member

@dnewberger

Thirty years ago on a long backpacking trip, I developed blisters wearing a pair of the heavy stiff leather boots I was wearing. In order to keep going, I switched to a pair of Birkenstock sandals. Result was less end of the day fatigue and no issues of not enough support for my fifty plus pound pack.

Over the years since, after a variety of injuries including breaking my legs five times, arthritic pain was developing in a hip joint and around one knee. With the the growing availability of flexible soles with low or zero heel drop shoes, I have been for two years wearing these exclusively. Walking down the street, hiking, wherever. Interestingly the arthritic issues are mostly gone. I live in western Colorado and am out on the trails all summer. Up and down and long distances. The New Balance MT00 has become my favorite except for a few routes where I might choose a shoe with a rock plate. Besides less fatigue from the diminished weight of these shoes, balance is greatly improved with the increased ground feel associated with minimal shoes. Not for everyone but for me and my issues, lightweight flexible low heeled shoes are the best thing since sliced bread.

As far as the writers comments about the weight of a pack, does this mean that a persons body weight should affect their shoe choice. I am not convinced additional cushioning or stiffness helps muscular skeletal loading.

Interesting reading all of this.

Paul Backus

@backuspaul

Locale: Bellingham, WA

I use the Vivo Barefoot Off Road boots for both on- and off-trail backpacking/hiking. They work great! Unfortunately mine came apart and getting Vivo to honor the warranty was a real pain, so I'm hesitant to recommend the company.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"just because we evolved walking barefoot does not mean that shoes aren't better."

Given that shoes have been around for at least 7,000 years, I'd offer a huge +1.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've used lightweight shoes a little.

When I'm on rough terrain, like stepping on the edge of sharp rocks, it seems like heavier shoes/boots are more comfortable.

And if I'm hiking in the rain or through wet brush, my feet stay fairly dry. With minimalist shoes, wouldn't they get wet and stay wet?

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Samurai Joe's Te Araroa (Valesko) is currently walking the New Zealand Trail (Total Base Weight: ~6 lbs, 4 ounces) in sandals as he did on the CDT '09 (Total Base Weight: ~5 lbs 12 oz -~6 lbs 8.4 oz and PCT '07 (Total Base Weight: 4 lbs, 15 oz).

Would be interesting to get his outlook on shoes.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I appreciate the pragmatic approach here. "Is this the best tool for the job?" is exactly the right question. The welcome trend toward minimalist footwear has been, disappointingly, shrouded in philosophy and thin references to science. The issue of backpacking footwear need not be philosophical, unless of course you hike for primarily philosophical reasons. I hike more for pleasure than to connect with my ancestors, or as a testament to human evolution, so whatever keeps me in pleasure and out of pain is what stays on my feet. Also, while studies can point us in the right direction, personal biomechanics and environmental factors are so particular, that your own 'scientific experimentation' (i.e. experience) provides the best info. I find online anecdotes, minus the zealotry, helpful as well.

My own anecdotes:

Dancing around in super minimal shoes like Merrell trail gloves has been a joy on the short, well traveled, technical trails here in the boulder foothills. As a bonus, its improved my strength and agility. I also used these section hiking the CT last summer averaging 25-30 miles a day with a wet weight between 8-12 lbs. While a more gentle gait left me fresher at day's end, I bruised my feet pretty bad after a prolonged night hike. I wore these again on scrambling missions early this summer, and while great for smearing and boulder hopping, one wrong talus step taught me they're not the tool for the job. I concur with ryan on this: the super minimal shoes are best for shorter on trail hikes in good daylight.

A fairly committing 5th class scramble in MT101's early in the summer had me searching out a minimalist shoe with mild protection that bridges running and approach styles. (wow, we certainly can afford to be finicky consumers these days!) Two shoes that fit bill are the scarpa spark and the la sportiva vertical K. Both have phenomenal grip. The vertical K basically gloms onto rock, wet or dry. Imagine having gecko feet. At first I was resistant to these, since the morpho cushioning didn't settle well with the minimalist kool-aid I'd been drinking. That said, no shoe left me feeling better after long trail miles, and non-performed as well on technical terrain from scrambling to talus/boulder hopping and side hilling. The morpho cushioning actually resulted in less ankle strain on prolonged side hilling. My gripes: the toe box isn't wide enough, the forefoot could use a touch more protection, and they dry too slow for being such a light shoe. All of these gripes are addressed in the helios, coming out in the spring. The spark felt pretty ideal on a few day hikes, but hurt my knees after long miles. Not sure why this is, but could be related to having to readjust after using the cushy vertical k's.

And most recently, I've been wearing merrell mix masters. These are the most comfortable semi-minimal shoes I've tried. I generally put these on and forget about them, which is a high compliment. The sole offers a good amount of protection without too much cushioning. Its sort of like a more comfortable MT101, with less drop and better grip. Close to my perfect for trail shoe, actually. That said, I got pretty used to the grip and agility of the vertical k's, and in comparison, these can sometimes feel clownish and rigid. My friend and I recently did an overnight in zion w/ stretches of slick rock scrambling, and more than a few times I missed the grip of the vertical k's. (finicky indeed ;) But if I were thru-hiking a long trail, I'd stock up on these for sure.

Last note, I wanted to like the lone peaks. I love the wide toe box, but I had to choke my midfoot to get a decent performance fit and to keep my heels from slipping. The shoe is also fairly rectangular shaped, which did't really feel anatomical to me. That, combined with the clunky and overly rigid soles made me feel like I was wearing wooden planks on my feet. Not a bad trail shoe though, and the construction is bomber. These didn't fit my particular feet well, but another reason why personal experience is the best criteria. I can totally see a bunch of people going all RJ groupie and buying Altras after reading this. Runners warehouse is a good bet, with their return policy.

Wow, didn't mean to write an e-tome, but I guess this is a decent place for such an anecdotal purge. BTW, psyched about RJ's analytical and practical articles of late. A big reason I started reading BPL.

Kirk O’Brien

@obrien-kirkgmail-com

I was happy to see the Inov-8 295s make the list. They served me well on a Grand Canyon Double Crossing this summer and the 4-Pass loop in Colorado. They seem to have a good mix of agility, cushioning, foot protection, and responsiveness. Plus, the traction was solid on all conditions including; rock, sand, snow, and mud. They dried fast in the Canyon but not that fast in the mountains.

HElinTexas C
    BPL Member

@helintexas

After years of fighting plantar facshiatus, (I ended up in urgent care one night cause I thought I had actually broken something the pain was so bad), I desparately tried Vibram 5 fingers. After slowly building up my leg strength, I got to where I could hike for hours before my feet started feeling sore. Even better, I started having a significantly decrease in pain due to PF. Flair ups are usuallly due to stupidly wearing uncomfortable dress shoes at work when forced to go to meetings.

Recently, I went on a 6 day visit to the Grand Canyon. I hiked between 3 to 10 miles on all 6 days. The first 2 days I day hiked on the rim. I wore my lightweight tennis shoes, since I was mostly walking on concrete/asphalt….which is not fun with 5 fingers. I ended up getting blisters on my toes.

The night before my backpack I parked at the Hermit Trailhead and rested in the car. The next morning I noticed that my feet were swollen. Not a great thing when one is about to embark on a 10 mile hike down into the hot canyon. Especially knowing that I am prone to getting blisters and already had 2 small ones on my toes..

I opted to begin my hike in the Vibram five fingers.

I am so glad I did. That trail is quite rugged and has a extremely uneven trail bed. My five fingers helped my grip rocks better. I love being able to feel the trail. It might be part psychological…but I actually feel more secure in them vs other shoes……especially on a steep descent. I also love the super light feel…..after wearing them…my lightweight tennis shoes feel relatively heavy. Plus, I really like that my feet are so much cooler in them. I don't sweat in them nearly as much. Plus, I like the toe splay.

I did have to be more careful in my foot placement. But that is not a bad thing for me. I never had issues with toe jamming into rocks or such.

My pack was about 25 pds at most. But I do day hike in Florida with a relatively uncomfortable day pack weighing around 18 pds (I carry a actual weight). And I do most of my day hikes in the 5 fingers…I wanted to strengthen my soles and calves…..glad I did!

I made it the entire 9.8 miles with backpack on rugged trail in the heat with the 5 fingers. I did not have any issues at all…I thought that I would have to stop at some point and put on my tennis shoes…. Didn't have to. No soreness and no blisters. Even my existing blisters didn't hurt

The only thing that made me pause was walking the section of trail near the Tonto….it was covered in ping pong sized rocks. I had to be very delicate going over this section of the trail. Plus, the Tonto trail was warm underfoot by the afternoon. It felt weird to feel the heat….but it didn't feel bad.

I did garner attention from others on the trail. Most were shocked and a couple seemed appalled that I was hiking in the Grand Canyon without boots.

I am a big believer in the 5 fingers…..for my feet.

Gary Allman

@gsallman

Locale: Ozarks

I too found this a fascinating article and I've read with interest all the comments thus far. I agree with most of the points, and I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference and physical condition.

I transitioned into minimalist shoes for backpacking nearly three years ago. We hike the rough trails of the Ozarks, where razor sharp rock shards are to be encountered. I tried Vibram five fingers, but the weight of my pack seemed to amplify the ground feel to a point where it was downright painful at times. Finally the non existent low temperature performance and high 'stinkage' factors decided me to retire the them. My daughter has since hijacked the five fingers for road running.

I concluded that what I wanted above all was an open shoe that let my feet breathe and kept them cool. I also wanted a reasonable thickness of sole for safety and comfort.

After a lot of research I made my own huaraches with 12mm hard rubber soles. I also increased the sole forward to protect my toes from stubbing. They work for me. I don't have any hiking shoes or boots. I have wool toe socks I wear when it gets cold, my experience thus far is I don't need socks until the temperature gets down to freezing. But I'm not a dedicated get out there whatever the weather hiker.

Charles Potter said he thought he might be too old to switch to a flat footbed. Charles I'm 57 and I made the transition. I just took it easy, and I've not regretted it.

Jerry Adams said he was concerned about getting wet. One of the great joys of my huaraches is going full speed through mud, puddles and creeks without breaking stride while my wife either searches out a dry route or changes shoes. I've found feet without shoes quickly dry, and dirt soon washes off.

On the negative side 'hardened' feet do start to look a tad rough!

At the end of the day I think we need to wear what works for us and not let any flavor of Kool Aid sway our selection. However, it pays to keep an open mind and try new things. Remember you didn't learn to walk in a day. Adapting to a new style of shoe may take time.

Hiking / Backpacking Huaraches

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Ryan wrote "However, our own little cult has enough experience gained through experimentation to know that stiff and heavy boots have long since been replaced by something closer to sneakers, and that fact alone has probably revolutionized the quality of our wilderness recreation more than any other advance in trekking style through the years".

Coming back to the sport three years ago I bought some light weight boots and though not getting blisters I was sure glad to get out of them at the end of a day on the trail. Now wearing trail runners I don't mind leaving them on when I've finished a day of hiking. I enjoy the lighter weight and sense of stability and the increased breathing of the shoe. I like a shoe with a rock plate and some torsional stability. I want to feel the ground but have a little protection from it. And a toe cap is very much appreciated.

Ryan, great article. Thanks for getting the conversation going in a more thoughtful way. We all have our own needs for our individual feet. But hearing what you've done in your hiking life is a great point to begin an ongoing discussion. Hopefully this will help manufacturers better understand what backpackers need and maybe it'll even create our own genre of shoes, "trail walkers". ha ha.

edited for levity

Kerri Larkin
    BPL Member

@bumper

Locale: Coffs Harbour

The Emperor has no clothes on! Thanks for setting us straight about the differences

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Gary,

Out of curiosity, is that footbed on your huaraches made from a Chaco sandal? The pattern on top looks the same. If so, how did you cut the outsole off? And what kind of tread does it have?

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ryan, the article was great food for thought- I too am one trying to figure out how the minimalist shoes fit into my life.
    I share most of your conclusions, but one area that I would "tread lightly" is negative drop.
    I had the fortune/misfortune of being around in the early seventies when "Earth Shoes" were the rage (they are again making a appearance). Most of the people I knew who wore them for any length of time; developed calf strain, Achilles issues and back pain.
    The latest promotion is the same as in the 70's "it will improve everything".
    Now that you have your feet in a good place I'd hate to see you undo all of that.

I wish they would figure out how to make a shoe with the ground feeling capability of a leather slipper, about 4 to 5mm cushion, super flexible rock plate, toe protection, highly breathable and extremely durable.

Colin Leath
    BPL Member

@cleath

Locale: SoCal

http://gear.j9k.org/2012/03/shoes.html

has a bit of my story.

2010: I wore through some Vibram KSO Treks back in 2010 walking across AZ and NM (the latter on the CDT) but at that time still carried some inov8 rocklites.

2011: Then I got a pair of merrell trail gloves (they are cheaper and look more normal than the VFF & I'm supposed to have closed-toed shoes for work & I had stubbed my toes bad twice on rocks on the CDT hike) and wore through those in 2011– walking north to WA state and on a scooter / hiking trip from knoxville tn to pensacola fl and mobile AL to Gainesville FL. http://gear.j9k.org/2012/03/scooters.html has more on the scooter.

I don't like the merrell trail gloves and was having plantar-fascitis like pain in the ball of my foot. When I finally got around to figuring out how to tie my invisible shoes–putting them on let the ball of my foot truly spread out and it felt (and still feels) so good.

2012: Left my merrell trail gloves behind after a trial 4 days from Santa Barbara to Ojai (and other crazy offtrail hiking earlier in the year) and walked Ojai to Fillmore, bussed & scooted through Santa Clarita to the PCT trailhead out sand canyon and walked / scooted south to big bear often following the PCT and then down into redlands. And finished up (after a visit to san diego) by going north from warner springs to idyllwild and down into cajon pass.

I use the 3mm soles. I love these shoes.

No foot/knee problems. I'm 36. 6'3", 180-185lbs. My biggest challenge has been lower back issues from poor posture–yoga really helps.

I'm on this thread because I'm currently thinking of getting vivobarefoot ultra pures to have a better lighter close-toed shoe for work than the stinky, annoying, heavy (now in comparison to other options I'm aware of and to my huaraches) merrell trail gloves.

Issues with the huaraches? on sharp railroad-sized gravel it can be slow going. And the issue I had with skin splitting as it dries (I've figured out how to manage this now but it took a while). I absolutely love how these shoes feel.

I've had one thorn get me through the soles of the huaraches. Same as with the vibrams (one thorn).

The vibram huaraches (xeroshoes/invisible shoes) soles seem very durable compared to what I've read about the vivobarefoot ultra pures. I may get close to wearing through my current pair but tearing of the sideholes has been what has done them in early. The newer xeroshoes soles seems tougher and I only broke the side hole on one of those when I had to leap off my scooter at high speed to avoid a cattle guard like thing at the bottom of a hill in wrightwood. I now carry the small (drill bit size) punch that steven sends with the shoes so I can punch new holes, retie and keep going.

I've learned to walk differently over the years of wearing barefoot shoes. At first I was mainly going toe down first I think– with the vibrams–perhaps that is why I stubbed those toes so badly (once near the toaster house along the cdt).

After studying esther gokhale's book — see egwellness.com — to try to fix my back issues, I started resting more on my heels and walking heel down first (still run with toe landing first).

Wish me luck and discipline w/r/t caring for my back!

It may help to know that I am never not carrying a backpack packed for camping unless I'm here in the Goleta area or working. (been living outside nearly continuously since 8/2008). So a help for the back will be avoiding carrying weight as much as I can. And perhaps I should use a pack with a frame instead of the golite jam.

Also note, I'm a solo hiker– so I wasn't having to keep up with anyone while wearing the huaraches. I have also run up to 4 miles at a time in them. Fairly quickly.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

One of the better articles that have appeared on BPL lately. I don't agree with everything about it, but it does merit some research and experimenting of my own now! Thanks!

Howard E. Friedman

@hefriedman

Locale: New York/New Jersey

I see this thread is winding down and I already added my thoughts in my earlier post quoting the available studies of which I am aware. But I wanted to add one last thought to those who are wondering if they should try minimalist shoes, or, have tried them and are struggling. Understand that there are many different foot types and even several different types of 'flat feet'. Some feet may flourish in minimalist shoes and some may suffer. Seeing that someone hiked a long distance trail in minimalist shoes and concluding that is the correct path for all would be akin to hearing that your friend read War and Peace without glasses and reasoning that you can throw away your glasses. Every case is unique.

Combining the variety of foot types together with body mass index (being over your ideal body weight), condition of knees, hips and back along with any other medical issues creates many variables. There is merit to the minimalist shoe theory if it works for you. If it does not work, than certainly moving toward a lighter weight shoe yet retaining the structure you feel you need would be a worthwhile goal. And understand, as Ryan pointed out along with many of the others who posted, trying different types of footwear is a process of trial and error, not to mention cost. And as trip length, weight carried and terrain changes one may want or need to change the types of shoes they wear for the occasion.

Rick Burtt
    BPL Member

@rburtt

Ryan, your article could not be more perfectly timed for me. I've been struggling with my footwear choice lately and have been considering a number of candidates for new shoes, among them the RocLite 295's and even some other minimalist shoes like the FLite series. I'm currently using the Brooks Cascadia 6 with mixed results. I also appreciated Dr Friedman's comments about the individual choice that footwear is. I think the root of the discussion is really about cost. If we could all try dozens of different shoes at $100 or more a pair there would be no argument about what is the "best" shoe. We'd all just stick with what worked for us. Even with REI's liberal return policy, I feel a twinge of guilt any time I return something having used it. But maybe that's just me. Anyway, your article gave me a bunch to think about, which is what I appreciate most about this site.

Oh, and by the way, it's important to note that everyone who drank the Kool-Aid, in fact, died.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools