Topic

Spinnaker stops spinning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Spinnaker stops spinning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

Inevitable, but it seems that spinnaker fabric is finally done as the middle choice of ultralight shelter fabrics. I'd been on a mailing list for Gossamer Gear, probably the last of the big names to sell spinnaker shelters, waiting for news of when the SpinnTwinn would be back in stock, but the news is that the SpinnTwinn is done.

As other manufacturers have found, the inconsistent quality of recently produced spinnaker is the problem. However, apparently the design will return with a new fabric. No idea about their other shelters.

Luckily I picked up a Spinnshelter from the Gear Swap here, so my shelter needs are now covered, but I'm intrigued to see what the new fabric will be.

Brad Burr
    Spectator

@bradjburr

Locale: Kansas City Area

They had some problems with a batch of fabric and sent out emails to those they knew had purchased them. I had one and returned it. In the email, they said they were getting sample Spinn Twinns made with 30denier nylon, silicone coated on one side and Polyurethane on the other.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I asked about spinnaker at a panel discussion on gear at the recent ALDHA-West gathering. Grant Sible's response: "Spinnaker is dead." Gossamer Gear is looking at other fabrics, including some new ones just coming onto the market (no details about those, since the discussion was running overtime).

It was a fascinating panel discussion, featuring Grant, Ron Moak and Henry Shires, who were about to take off on their annual backpack. Hopefully a video will be posted at some point–if so, I'll post a link here.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Yeah, I was one of the ones that bought the last iteration of the SpinnTwinn. I love it and it doesn't leak so I am not sending it back. The new fabric that Gossamer Gear is testing will be heavier. Say goodbye to sub 10oz duo tarps unless you want to use Cuben. Kinda disappointing considering that Spinnaker filled the gap between Cuben and Sil Nylon both in terms of cost, weight and functionality.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

That also means that GG's "The One" will have to be redesigned and made in different fabric. Their Squall Classic is also gone; I'm glad I have one (2009 model, really great tent)!

And of course they'll have to rename the SpinnTwinn and SpinnShelter!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

…"30denier nylon, silicone coated on one side and Polyurethane on the other".

This sounds eerily like polyester Polymax 42 from Challenge Sailcloth that I used to make a flat tarp back in the day (circa Summer 2010).

MYOG Polymax 42 flat spinnaker tarp

Gossamer Gear used to have a silnylon version of the Spinn Twinn in their product line called the SilTwinn I believe.

The only part of this that does not fit here is the 30 denier nylon vs. the polyester. ;-?

Party On,

Newton

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

I'm glad I picked one up from Gear Swap. I really like the coverage for the weight, and after the old tennis ball in the air fluff drier trick, it's reasonably quiet with a tight pitch.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Hmmm. Prolite still has spinnaker for sale.
    Sounds like a choice, not an availability decision by GG.

John – What sounds eerily similar? The combo coat?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Hey Sam,

Yes the combination coat on 30D spinnaker fabric.

I used the Polymax 42 in a pack, stuff sack and the flat tarp. The fabric is very much like what we've always heard about spinnaker. No stretch, noisy into the stuff sack, noisy coming out of the stuff sack and noisy unless it's pitched really tight.

That flat tarp of mine is still in its stuff sack in my gear locker. I've been tempted more than once to pull it out, add a catenary curve to the ridge line, cut and turn it into a shaped tarp like the Spinn or Sil Twinn tarps.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm! ;-?

Party On,

Newton

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I had been waiting a long time for a cuben or other UL fabric version of the Spinnshleter.

The Spinnshelter had always been my all around favorite solo shelter because of it's flexibility and stormproof design.

I had started to worry when my spinnaker rect tarp started to fray from repeated stress in strong winds.

I had heard that the heavier cuben material held up much better and assumed a cuben version of the Spinnshelter was in the works.

When GG took the Spinnshelter off of their web site, I gave up and went with the similar design MLD Patrol Shelter.

The Patrol may have less coverage on the head end, but that is very easy to fix during the rare conditions when I need full coverage there.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I saw a recent blog post by Glen at GG where he used a CubenTwinn here http://gossamergear.com/wp/buzz-blog/sub-5-in-the-wiemenuche

I asked him in the comments section about the weight and whether it was going to offered to which Glen replied "The Cuben SpinnTwinn comes in at around 6 oz. A small run was sold awhile back, we are looking into offering it again."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools