Topic

Grand Canyon Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Grand Canyon Recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Michael Schurr

@mrschurr

Locale: SW US

They will also give you the gate code at the Back Country office if you would rather park at the top of the Hermit.

Bunny Kramer

@leaps

Hi Chris, I'm not sure if it was made real clear before but all overnight stays below the rim (other than at Phantom Ranch) require a permit for the exact number of nights and where you'll be camping. It simply isn't possible to get to the bottom of the canyon and walk into Bright Angel Campground there asking if they have a campsite available.

I would urge you to stick to the corridor trails for your first CG hike. Trust me… there's excitement and rugged scenery enough on the corridor trails! The 3 corridor trails – Bright Angel & South Kaibab on the south rim and North Kaibab on the north rim – are all regularly maintained and patrolled daily. You'll also find water at 2 places each on the North Kaibab and Bright Angel but ALWAYS double check that before starting out!

You touched on what might be a really excellent trip for you… a rim to rim… though I would really urge you to start on the north rim and hike to the south rim just because the north rim is a few thousand feet higher in elevation than the south rim. ;)

If you decide to stick with the south rim trails, you might want to see if you can snag 2 nights at PR or BA camp and use your layover day to check out Ribbon Falls and rest your knees. :)

I heartily recommend the friendly folks at groups.yahoo.com/group/grand_canyon_hikers as a terrific resource.

As far as temps go… we scraped frost off the windshield so we could drive to the North Kaibab trailhead… then the next day soaked in the creek to avoid the 98 degree temps at the bottom of the canyon !

Peace and dry socks,
    Leaps

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn't see a response to this query. Hiking up the No. Kaibab is a vastly different experience from hiking the down to the river from the South Rim. I wouldn't miss the opportunity to do this if you can arrange for a pick up or other transportation.

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

Trans-Canyon Shuttle runs a daily shuttle to & from the North Rim. They'll shuttle people or just baggage. They can be reached @ 928-638-2820

We do a rim-to-rim-to-rim hike every October. There are a whole pile of pictures on my site (www.rimtorim.com) that show the scenery along the corridor trails.

Todd Brashear
    Spectator

@topper1969

Thanks everybody for all the input. I'm going to read up on it all a little more and make a decision.

If I can't get a night at Bright Angel, I guess I'll just do a day hike-hike down and back up. I'm sure it would still be great.

Todd

Kim Grant

@kimberlymae

I'd like to second the notion of wearing cotton May – October in the south west deserts. Synthetics wick precious moisture away at the gaseaous level keeping you dryer, and then they evaporate that moisture away quickly so that sweaty clothes dry in minutes instead of hours. In the desert, you need every precious drop of moisture your body can hang on to, and that includes using your sweat as a cooling system. When a cotton shirt absorbs moisture, the wet layer on your skin helps keep your body cool.

Not matter how hot it gets, in the summer I wear a long sleeve (sun protection) tissue-weight woven (no knits!) cotton tunic — a short version of what you see people wearing in hot, dry African climates. I avoid knits because they get too heavy and clingy when wet — woven cloth billows like a sail in the smallest of breezes, sort of like instant air conditioning.

Synthetic socks, with liners, on the other hand, are a must. Wet socks = blisters.

-Kim ("avatar" pic taken late November in Canyonlands, and am wearing a synthetic T.)

Mary Simpson

@maryphyl

I have spent most of my adult life in the canyon. If it were me I would be wearing a white long sleeved shirt and long zip off leg pants. I would have a windbreaker and a 40 degree bag. Check weather reports right before you leave–if no rain is forcast then just take a half of a painter's dropcloth for a ground cover which can be used burrito style if the forcasters are wrong. Cut your toenails very very short or you will lose them. You will want dark glasses and sunscreen. Do not drink without eating something–you just need a couple of mouthfulls. Eat a salty breakfast before you leave and drink a quart of something before you step off the rim. Be sure to hang your food even if you are just leaving your camp for a stroll. I'm sure there is more–just can't think of anything right now. Mary

Todd Brashear
    Spectator

@topper1969

Hey,

I didn't end up going in September due to work.

Now I'm headed there in April. I got my permit for camping at Bright Angel April 10th.

Any input on that time of year?

Thanks,
    Todd

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools