Topic

Quilt V 2.Awsome!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Quilt V 2.Awsome!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

I am extremely pleased with my 2nd attempt at a quilt, I have been on the road with this quilt for all of September and the first week of October. I have 13 nights on the AT in Maine a few nights across the midwest on a cross country drive, a night above 11K in the Colorado Rockies, and a night in Southern Utah. Lets go with about 15-20 nights total, lowest temps were just below freezing at 11,000 feet in the Rockies. I slept decent that night, I had extra cloths on and 2 ppl and 2 dogs in my SL2 tent so I think this will be my quilt down to the mid 30's with confidence that I will sleep great.

The Stats:
    Coyote Brown M50 shell, liner, and baffles.
    apx. 12oz of down (I cut up quilt V 1.terrible which had 9 oz and added 3 more) Lost a lot of down in the salvage process but I would have to say less than .5 oz and in true thru-hiker fashion my down had more than 3 oz in it.
    1.75" baffles, total loft is 2.5-3"

Total weight 17.5 oz.

My first attempt was too short and too wide, attempted karo step and failed miserably, and had a bad connection system around me. This second attempt came out great and I tried some fun things on this that I thought I should share because they worked great.

Top view all synched up, I added enough extra quilt at the top that I can completely cover my head I am a side and stomach sleeper
    quilt top

Bottom view all synched up
    quilt bottom

Simple "footbox" I made a sleeve at the bottom for a cord lock and 1/16" elastic cord. I took the extra fabric I had and added it at the bottom just so that in the middle of the night I can get my feet in and out of the bottom of the quilt without having to wake up and re-align everything. I was worried about this being too short but about 10" is perfect no more needed.
    quilt footbox

The part that I am the most proud of, I bought some 20mm beads from Joann's and used the leftover elastic cord to attach the bead to the quilt and make a loop on the otherside that the bead stays locked in. This is a simple and light bottom attachment system, I have 4 of these going up the bottom of the quilt and they work great. I am going to put this system on my next quilt and I would recommend others give this a try.quilt bead and loop

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Very nice specs, I like the choice of your M50 shell.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Very nice job. I would like to use your bead idea on my quilt if you don't mind. Did you just make a loop slightly larger than the bead? I am currently using mitten hooks but think this may be a better option. What do you think?

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

The M50 is great, seems to have all the same characteristics as M90 but weighs less.

The beads seam to be the very simple solution I had been trying to come up with for about a year when I was planning to sew a quilt. It was a true eureka moment when I was walking around JoAnn's looking for inspiration. I was about to go with buttons which I knew would be a pain to sew on and not work near as smooth.

I used an elastic cord loop sewn into the quilt seam. Make sure you bar tack it in very well, I had to go back and re-sew them all because the first time I climbed in to test it I ripped most of them out.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

If you can find a glow in the dark bead about 20mm it would be a dramatic improvement on the bead and loop. I couldn't find any big enough.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I'm adding beads to my winter MYOG list. Thank you very much.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools