Oct 20, 2012 at 9:54 am #1295294
I am extremely pleased with my 2nd attempt at a quilt, I have been on the road with this quilt for all of September and the first week of October. I have 13 nights on the AT in Maine a few nights across the midwest on a cross country drive, a night above 11K in the Colorado Rockies, and a night in Southern Utah. Lets go with about 15-20 nights total, lowest temps were just below freezing at 11,000 feet in the Rockies. I slept decent that night, I had extra cloths on and 2 ppl and 2 dogs in my SL2 tent so I think this will be my quilt down to the mid 30's with confidence that I will sleep great.
Coyote Brown M50 shell, liner, and baffles.
apx. 12oz of down (I cut up quilt V 1.terrible which had 9 oz and added 3 more) Lost a lot of down in the salvage process but I would have to say less than .5 oz and in true thru-hiker fashion my down had more than 3 oz in it.
1.75" baffles, total loft is 2.5-3"
Total weight 17.5 oz.
My first attempt was too short and too wide, attempted karo step and failed miserably, and had a bad connection system around me. This second attempt came out great and I tried some fun things on this that I thought I should share because they worked great.
Top view all synched up, I added enough extra quilt at the top that I can completely cover my head I am a side and stomach sleeper
Bottom view all synched up
Simple "footbox" I made a sleeve at the bottom for a cord lock and 1/16" elastic cord. I took the extra fabric I had and added it at the bottom just so that in the middle of the night I can get my feet in and out of the bottom of the quilt without having to wake up and re-align everything. I was worried about this being too short but about 10" is perfect no more needed.
The part that I am the most proud of, I bought some 20mm beads from Joann's and used the leftover elastic cord to attach the bead to the quilt and make a loop on the otherside that the bead stays locked in. This is a simple and light bottom attachment system, I have 4 of these going up the bottom of the quilt and they work great. I am going to put this system on my next quilt and I would recommend others give this a try.Oct 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm #1923168
@m-lLocale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Very nice specs, I like the choice of your M50 shell.Oct 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm #1923180
James ReillyBPL Member
Very nice job. I would like to use your bead idea on my quilt if you don't mind. Did you just make a loop slightly larger than the bead? I am currently using mitten hooks but think this may be a better option. What do you think?Oct 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm #1923184
The M50 is great, seems to have all the same characteristics as M90 but weighs less.
The beads seam to be the very simple solution I had been trying to come up with for about a year when I was planning to sew a quilt. It was a true eureka moment when I was walking around JoAnn's looking for inspiration. I was about to go with buttons which I knew would be a pain to sew on and not work near as smooth.
I used an elastic cord loop sewn into the quilt seam. Make sure you bar tack it in very well, I had to go back and re-sew them all because the first time I climbed in to test it I ripped most of them out.Oct 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm #1923186
If you can find a glow in the dark bead about 20mm it would be a dramatic improvement on the bead and loop. I couldn't find any big enough.Oct 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm #1923454
James ReillyBPL Member
I'm adding beads to my winter MYOG list. Thank you very much.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.