Topic

Everclear 190 in Nevada?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Everclear 190 in Nevada?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Has anyone RECENTLY purchased Everclear 190 in Nevada? Some on these forums have described going to Reno for it many years ago, but in my search of related threads I didn't find any accounts of buying it in Nevada recently. Everywhere I look online, Nevada appears on the list of states that do not allow sales of 190 proof alcohol. I'd like to use it instead of denatured alcohol on my next trip, but I don't want to drive to Stateside or Reno (from Sacramento) and find that the online lists are correct and it isn't sold there anymore.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Colin,

I've used the 190 proof in my stove at home in test burns and on the trail. It has never failed to get me a boil but I have experienced some problems such as my flame "ring" creeping up the sides of the cook pot (wasted heat) and some stove overheating.

Some alcohol stove users add just a touch of water to their alcohol fuel.

Widen your search for the Everclear to include the 151 proof.

Try some test runs with it at home to see how it works for you. It could solve your availability issue.

What stove are you using? Do you know the distance from the top of your stove to the bottom of your cook pot?

I know the question in your OP was only about finding the 190 proof in Nevada but because of the issues I stated in the top of this post and the problem of availability I thought that I would suggest the 151 proof as an alternative.

Party On,

Newton

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Nevada may operate the same way as Pennsylvania…Here in PA we have a "State Store" system where all wine and hard liquor must be purchased from a state-owned and run store.

Anyway, Everclear is not available off the shelf in PA BUT if you fill out the correct form (in which you promise that you won't drink the stuff) they will order it for you and have it delivered to the store to which you took the form. You'll need to be careful – I know of someone who wanted two bottles and the store ordered them two cases.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Everclear seems like a great lightweight way of bringing some booze on a trip. Just dilute it before you drink. You'll only need to pack half the volume compared to regular 80 proof alcohol!… Hahaha

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I tried to get it in Jackpot, NV to no avail. Checked every store. Being that NV is the "sin" state, I was very surprised. Can't remember what I was told was the reason. At any rate, I went back to my default: having my brother pick it up in Oregon.

A couple of things. Although you and most people probably know this, it might be worth saying; There are other makers of 190 proof besides Everclear (Clear Spring being one) so be sure to ask for "190 proof" rather than just asking for "Everclear". Secondly, I had read some where that 150 proof didn't cut it as stove fuel. I tried anyway and couldn't bring water to a boil with it. Maybe it'll work in certain stoves but not others, I don't know.

Good luck!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

@Colin,

Did you notice the blue in the bottom of the flame in the picture above and the yellow in the top of the flame?

The 151 proof Everclear may have the same flame characteristics as 91% Isopropyl alcohol and therefore require a smaller distance from the top of your stove to the bottom of your cook pot. From what I've been told and experienced the distance should be about 1/2" to keep the flame under your cook pot blue. This will minimize if not eliminate any sooting problems.

Here is a picture of my Iso-Clean 2.0 burning Everclear for an example of what you are looking to accomplish.

Pretty Blue Fame

Next is a picture of what happened when my stove overheated!

Overheated stove and wasted heat up the sides of the cook pot

The flames going up the sides of the cook pot and coming out of the big holes in my stove is a sign of overheating. Jon at Flat Cat Gear recommended that I try the 151 proof Everclear to solve the problem.

Below is a picture of a Fancee Feest MYOG "clone stove" of mine burning 91% Isopropyl alcohol.

Stove Burning 91% Isopropyl Alcohol

Notice how the flame is almost all blue with just a small hint of yellow in some spots. The center section of this stove is the integral pot stand and is 1/2" higher than the fiberglass wick material in the stove.

I don't know yet what stove and windscreen you are using but I have a suspicion that if you try using the 151 proof Everclear as stove fuel you may need to lower you cook pot height to 1/2" above your stove.

BTW It has been my experience that the 190 is an O2 hungry fuel and likes a windscreen that breathes as well as shields the stove. I suspect that if you try the 151 it may have properties similar to the 91% isopropyl. 91% isopropyl IME is not as O2 hungry a fuel and likes a "shielding" more than breathable windscreen.

Party On,

Newton

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Build a small moonshine still and make your own for stove fuel purposes.
    http://stillplans.net/
    Terry

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Thanks very much for the input, everyone. Newton, thanks for your observations about lower-proof ethanol and isopropanol in your stove. I'll keep lower-proof ethanol under consideration.

For the high-proof ethanol, it sounds like a drive to Nevada might not be a good use of my time (because I can't count on finding what I want). That's unfortunate. I go up to the Sierras pretty regularly anyway. I'm not fond of the idea of driving seven hours (each way) to Oregon. The cost in gas (and time) for that trip really drives up the investment in the ethanol.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Colin,

You're welcome!

"Newton, thanks for your observations about lower-proof ethanol and isopropanol in your stove".

91% Isopropyl alcohol…

91%

…not isopropanol.

To be honest, I'm not sure if they are different or just two different names for the same thing. ;-?

Party On,

Newton

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Newton, those are two names for the exact same thing.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've tried 151 proof as a stove fuel, and it was fairly underwhelming. I don't understand that, since it is roughly 75% ethanol, and that is similar to some denatured alcohol.

–B.G.–

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

"… it sounds like a drive to Nevada might not be a good use of my time (because I can't count on finding what I want). That's unfortunate. I go up to the Sierras pretty regularly anyway. I'm not fond of the idea of driving seven hours (each way) to Oregon. The cost in gas (and time) for that trip really drives up the investment in the ethanol."

Prostitution and gambling yet no 190 proof. Man, NV is a screwy state! If you're not sure by looking on the web if NV prohibits the sale of 190, perhaps a couple phone calls to Reno liquor stores would clear it up. Re Oregon, do you know anyone there that might pick it up and send it to ya? The authorities might not approve but……

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Colin,

Here is a link to a table on Jon Fong's, Flat Cat Gear website.

http://www.flatcatgear.com/page2.php

I contacted Jon via email and he was kind enough to provide the above link to this table on his website.

The table is titled "Testing the FLAT CAT Standard with different fuels".

In it you will find some statistics such as Ethanol / Water percentages, fuel "charge" volume, time to boil, flame out and comments regarding the fuel's performance.

He advised me that the FLAT CAT Standard is an open reservoir stove and other types of stoves such as chimney, pressurized, etc. may not perform similarly.

Flat Cat Gear Stoves with the Standard stove on the far left

In the picture above the Flat Cat Standard is on the far left.

Party On,

Newton

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I'll take a look at a couple of stores and report back on the availability of 190 proof in Reno.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools