Topic

What do you sleep on?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What do you sleep on?

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

When going SUL I'll pack my GG Nightlite torso length. When I want more comfort and don't mind the extra weight I'll pack my Prolite 3 short, a roughly 9 oz difference in weight. With either option I'm in a MB zipperless #5, in a bivy, on a polychro groundcloth.

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

Beacon 'Summit XL' 12mm thick, 73" long and 22.5" wide – and 12.5 oz.

Janet Brewster

@jgranite25

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Thanks, Douglas! I'll check it out.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Everything goes in the bivy, so from ground up:

bivy bottom (1.4 silnyl)

V
    V

GG Nightlight Torso (upper body)
    Pack with 1/8" GG Thinlight piece as framesheet (lower legs inside pack, wearing the pack keeps my feet on the pad and pack back)

V
    V

JRB No Sniveller draped over pack and wrapped under lower legs.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Sticking your feet in the pack is clever. I once did that when I had to bail on a fastpacking trip. Spent the night in my Thermawrap vest with my silponcho draped over my upper body and my legs in my pack. Ahh, memories.

Usually I sleep on a simple Ridgerest chopped down to torso size, with my legs on top of my backpack. I'm a stomach sleeper so I don't need the cushioning that side sleepers usually want.
    -Mark

Mandy Kent

@vermontsilkie

Locale: rural New England

Just opened a box from Campmor containing, among other things, my new 60" mummy shaped Big Agnes insulated sleeping pad. Says it weighs in at 18 oz. Is a small package, which I really like cuz am tired of wrestling with those huge rolled-up things on the outside of my pack.

I know I could go a lot lighter than 18 oz but like others here, my old bones are interested in a good rest. Been backpacking since before it caught on so recall lugging an Army surplus air mattress that must've been 5 lbs, while getting acquainted with the Adirondack High Peaks. Wasn't able to get comfortable on that anyway; it made my hips ache. Then years with blue foam minimal 'til a bear ate it. (Imagine THAT scat!) Then a shorty Thermarest, then a boyfriend bought me a really thick Thermarest which has been best of all but obviously too heavy.

Now can't wait for slightly better weather to get out there and test the new BA. Am happy to finally see new dimensions available in sleeping pads. To me 48" doesn't cut it (been there, done that) and I don't need my full 5'6" height in a pad, so happy to find this 60" one at reduced price.

Mandy Kent

@vermontsilkie

Locale: rural New England

Janet Brewster writes: "Under my tent or tarptent I use thin plastic sheeting from the hardware store (paint tarps that I cut to size) — super lightweight, cheap, and durable, but not terribly enviro-friendly. Any thoughts on something lightweight that's not so disposable?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Same thoughts here, Janet. For years I used an old nylon poncho/tarp (that I happened to have – I think it was my former husband's Vietnam era Army issue) under my '73 North Face double end A-frame tent. Getting a Stephenson tent soon, I hope, and they say just to use the plastic. I know I have a roll of construction plastic but frankly, it's heavier than I'd like and I don't care for the disposal situation either. Looking into Tyvek. Does anyone know of an inexpensive source of Tyvek?

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

I have used blue and green foam back in the early eighties as a kid.

I more recently have used a Thermarest that while comfortable was extremely heavy and more trouble to use on the trail than I cared for.

Having used the Ridgerest, like Mark, cut down to a shorter length and weighing in at 10.2 oz…I am converted to this style of sleep pad.

I recently got the Gossamer Gear 3/4 length pad which I believe is an inch less in width from a Ridgerest, but seems to be slightly more comfortable. It does not seem to be nearly as durable as the Ridgrest (which I have used as a camp chair/ lake float/ windscreen) but if it lasts 2 weeks worth of nights in the wild…will be worth the $28 to replace.

I have used the GG polycro…and Tyvek…and regular painters visqueen film for groundcloths, and overall I prefer Mylar. It seems to dry quicker than clear plastic…and might have an edge for puncture resistance…and is not nearly as heavy as Tyvek. I am not sure any of these items is any "greener" of an alternative.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

They are squirley as heck.. You know they put a weight on the cyclic to damp the vibrations. A bunch of parts flying in close formation in my opinon! ha ha…

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Gee, my choices seem popular (I guess that's comforting ).

I've recently changed what I use and don't have any trail miles on the new setup yet; I've tried the lightest thermarest (13.6 oz) in a bivy and various things with a hammock. Now I'm using a tarptent with 1 mil painters plastic under that. For padding the GG Nightlight Torso (3.5 oz) and on top of that the GG 3/8" thinlight, 59" long and 6.1 oz.

The padding issue was partly resolved for me when I bought a GG pack for which their nightlight torso was designed to fit as the back padding.

The whole setup felt great in my backyard; my intuition is that it will hold up well on the trail too, but TBD.

Brian

Alec Muthig

@alekat

Locale: Wyoming, USA

Warm weather: Thermarest ProLite3 (full length)
    Cold weather: Pacific Outdoor Hyper Mtn (far warmer than it looks)

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I use an Insulmat Max Thermo 3/4 length. It's only 15 oz. but has 2.5 in. of loft! Thicker and lighter than my REI Lite Core. I use my pack for insulation for my lower legs and feet.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Brett,

Absolutely not. I would not be afraid to learn though…if I had the time and money.

The gentleman who flew us in for the heli-assisted hike was a true veteran and seemed extremely capable. The chopper itself while small, seems to be a workhorse. I have noticed them being used a lot for camera work/tv production. The ultimate safety in a particular aircraft has more to do with how well the operator knows it and maintains it like his life depends on it, IMHO!!!!

Ohh, and if we are adding in sleeping aid's, I just got a Western Mountaineering pillow…which at 4+ oz. is worth it's weight in gold. I would rather have this killer pillow over a better pad given that I generally sleep best on my stomach.

If you can, I recommend trying this at least once in your life. This particular trip we went on, the helicopter saved us 10 hours of driving and afforded us an opportunity for incredible views, a fly over to do a reality check on a ridge-route we wanted to persue, and a thrill factor to book-end a week of hiking.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Scott, that sure saves time on the approach- excellent! The Robinsons are the #1 selling helicopter in the world recently numerically speaking.
    Its a great way to get to the trail head..
    Thanks for explaining the photo!

Sorry to divert this thread momentarily.. I recently switched to the Montbell UL pad system, a toggle-joined pillow, mattress, and sit pad that totals 180cm, and finally because the pillow no longer moves around, I can get a full nights sleep. Highly recommended.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Insul-Mat MaxThermo, full length. And I don't care what it weighs; I'm getting some good sleep. Getting old sucks.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

started with a ridgerest reg
    then switched to prolite 3 short
    then went with a prolite 4 reg
    now using custom trimmed ridgerest

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

GG Nightlight Torso
    GG THinlight 3/8" Pad

Total 8.8 Oz.

Wayne Sewake

@wsewake

Locale: Southern California

BA Insulated Air Core with tent footprint or with tent floor and footprint.

Cheesewhiz
    Spectator

@cheesewhizat06

Curious if anyone has “laminated” their GG thinlite in polycro on one side or both to prevent it from getting filthy or pokies from the desert in it.  If so curious how you went about this and what you used to adhere the two together?

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools