Topic

Water bladders?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Water bladders?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nick G

@hermesul

Seeing as Evernew bottles are so scarce, I'm wondering if there are any other options out there for Sawyer Squeeze compatible bottles.

Here's what I have so far, mostly obvious things:

– Platypus don't fit
    – Evernew bottles are difficult to get (but worth trying)
    – It is possible to keep the Sawyer Squeeze pouches in shape, you just have to take care of them like ultralight gear and backflush regularly

– A few other bottles I ran across on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Rum-Runner-Cruise-Kit/dp/B000IUO3VE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350617616&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=evernew+water+carry+bladder
    Seems like you get 6 bottles for 30 bucks, which is a great deal (although three of them are too small to use backpacking). They're apparently designed for smuggling rum around, but would probably work. No clue about the nozzle, but it looks from the picture like its the right size. You can also buy them individually for $7 apiece.

Has anyone tried these or another kind of bladder that might be Sawyer compatible?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Not a bladder, but the standard 2 liter soda threads are perfectly compatible. 1.5 liter Lipton Green Tea bottles have the same threads.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

The narrow-necked Vapur bottles fit the Squeeze perfectly. The new, wide-mouth version will not fit.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey Nick,

I have received word from two different companies that they are suppose to have a supply of Evernew water bags in-stock late this month. I want to stress that "suppose to" is not guaranteed… like all Evernew products, they all show up on a big boat from Japan and thus have to make it through customs.

It is very much possible to use the Sawyer bags *if* you do not "squeeze" but rather "roll" them.

Just fill them up as normal and than roll the bag from the bottom towards the filter.

I suppose Sawyer should have called them "Sawyer Roll" – but that probably did not sound as good as "Sawyer Squeeze", eh.

You should be able to go with this method until such time as some suppliers get them back in stock. In my opinion, these Evernew bags are the only bags worth using with a Sawyer Squeeze.

I have a list of the usual companies that supply them within my own review of the Sawyer Squeeze, down at the bottom of the article. Typically, TrailDesigns.Com has the largest supply of Evernew products that I am aware of in the USA.

Abela

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Weren't Sawyer bladders $5 for a 3-pack at REI? It's another option until an Evernew bladder becomes available.

Pete Anderson

@hosaphone

Locale: Boston-ish, MA

I ordered one a few days ago so I can't test this theory yet, but two things I'm going to try to get it to work with my platypus:

1) I have a platypus hoser with drinking tube, and I ordered the inline attachment that allows the filter to plug into a drinking tube… My plan is to simply cut off the drinking tube very close to the bladder, and use that to be able to plug into the filter via the inline adapter. The way I worded that makes it sound complicated but really it's a very simple idea.

2) I plan to try this first before ruining a drinking hose, but this way is not as fool-proof. Basically I'm going to try to create an adapter myself. I have an extra platypus cap that I will drill a hole into. Then I will find a male soda bottle part (possibly just cut it out of one of the sawyer water bags), and glue it to the platypus cap using something that will create a water-tight seal and that will also hopefully not leach harmful chemicals…

Sam Bailey

@sbailey843

Let us know how those Rum Runner Bladders work if you give them a try with the Sawyer. I'm facing the exact same dilemma.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

There are two comments for this flask that indicate compatibility with the Sawyer filter. One mentions the older Platypus cap, and another mentions bottled water caps.
    http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Traveler-06-32oz/dp/B000F5NNAY/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_z

What the hell, I ordered one. I'll let y'all know.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

I got a response back from Rum Runner. They said their 32 oz bladders are compatible with 2 liter soda bottle caps, which means it should work just fine with the Sawyer Squeeze. I didn't quite realize that the flask I ordered was a Rum Runner flask, so I'm very happy with this news.

Of course I'll still try it out and let you know how it works.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have several and they appear to be the same material as a platypus. The sealed border/seam is nice and wide. I would expect these to hold up very well. Good luck with them.

Jerry Hackler
    BPL Member

@soundwitness

Locale: North Western New Jersey

Just curious how these Rumrunners worked out.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

Another curious reader. Any updates?

EDIT: I bought a Rum Runner flask and am disappointed to report that it has the same issue as the Platy, where the threads are close, but just a little bit different, and when you tighten the bladder onto the filter is ends up slightly crooked and leaks.Oh well.

I think for my fast-and-light setup, I'm going to take Dasani bottles and drink through the filter. The annoying thing is that you have to unscrew the filter once in a while to get some air into the bottle so you don't have to squeeze so much. Not an issue with a soft-sided bladder. Still nicer than waiting for aquarmira I think.

For my group trips/basecamp setup, I'm going to use some hose to connect to a 3L platy hoser for a gravity setup.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools