Topic

Compression sack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Compression sack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

Pretty simple, cut the weight of my old OR in third. Two buckles are ladderlocks and the other two are side release so you can pop the top off with out having to release any straps.
    Fun quick little project. 20 degree down bag inside the photos.bigcompressed

Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

How did you sew the straps on? It looks like it might be just two bars of stitching? I want to make a compressor, but didn't know the best way to attach them to thin material. I normally compress things as much as they go, so it would have to hold well.

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

I just used 2 bar tacks, hopefully they will hold. The real stress point seems to be where the gusset taper part meets the lid, it pulls really hard there.

Originally wanted to do one out of all Sil Nylon, but opted for dyneema for the lid. Maybe I'll try another using all sil nylon but running some grossgrain as reinforcement along the lins of the straps.

Pretty amazing the force you can generate by cinching down on the straps of these things.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice job, Eric! Very professional.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

When sewing tie-outs onto lightweight fabrics it might be wise to use the "X Box" stitch rather than bar tacks. Bar tacks by their nature puncture a bunch of holes into the fabric very closely spaced which can weaken the fabric. These are just my two cents in regards to that. The project you've completed looks great however!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools