Topic

Can not find uncoated 500d cordura for gaiters, help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Can not find uncoated 500d cordura for gaiters, help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Robert H

@roberth

Hey guys,

I am following Roger Caffin's design for two pairs of gaiters for me and my partner. See: https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_gaiters_for_bushwhacking.html

My problem is I can not find anyone selling uncoated 500d cordura. I have tried emailing OWFINC and Seattle Fabrics with no luck. I just sent an email to cordura themselves so I will see what they say.

In the mean time does anyone have a hook up, or an alternative fabric they could recommend?

I am pretty lost as to how to proceed for the moment. :/

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Here's the closest I could find.

http://www.therainshed.com/fabrics/LtWtCordura.htm

Robert H

@roberth

The 500d cordura with the 'Light No Fray (kiss coat) coating'? Hopefully the coating would wear off after minimal use, leaving me with something closer to what I am looking for than the 330d uncoated stuff.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

There are some chemicals used for stripping polyurethane, but I'm not recommending you use them.

After sewing your gaiters, you might try stretching and twisting the fabric. That might just tear the PU enough to get the breathability you desire.

Robert H

@roberth

Yeah thanks a lot for the link. Certainly the closest thing I have seen to date.
    Hopefully Roger chips in with some insight.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

1000 denier uncoated here:

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Solid-Color-CORDURA-Nylon-Fabrics

down at the bottom of the page.

They also have some camo 500 denier that may be uncoated -doesn't say.

If you get some coated 500d, you could abrade the coating and get more breathability out of it. The coatings on Cordura are notoriously poor at keeping water out, due to the rough texture of the fabric, so I would gures you would have some level of moisture diffusion regardless.

I have found the 330d and 160d uncoated corduras to be pretty darn tough. I like the 160 better for the tighter weave. I have the 330 on the cuffs of my ski pants and it has held up very well.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

spam…marking this thread in case it becomes another invisible thread

The spammer's name has been changed to "SPAM". I thought that would have prevented further postings, but it appears I was wrong.

No, you are correct. I marked the poster as spam after the posting was done. We have a small bug in the delete program which needs to be resolved however.

Unresolved: can a poster who is logged in continue to post after I have marked him as a spammer? I don't kbnow, but I WILL check.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Bumping to make this thread visible again.

Thanks for looking into things Roger.

Robert H

@roberth

>1000 denier uncoated here:
    >http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Solid-Color-CORDURA-Nylon-Fabrics

Rockywoods say the closest stuff they have is either 420d or 1000d Nylon, or 600d polyester, all of which are uncoated.

I really am in over my head with all this stuff. I have no idea which to use over the other.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

The 420d is the old standby 7-8 oz packcloth – smoother texture than the cordura but still very durable. The 1000d cordura you are probably familiar with, but just in case, for comparison the 500d cordura is about 8 oz/sq. yd., while the 1000 is about 11. The 600d polyester is almost certainly faux cordura – that is, a textured fabric that looks like cordura but is not quite as tough. For your purposes (tough gaiters) all will do the job. The 100d will be the toughest for sure, but even going down to 330d you're getting some very tough fabric. The difference in weight will be a couple ounces or so, so it isn't a lot. if you want the absolute toughest, get the 1000d, if you want light but still rugged get the 330, if you want a compromise get the 420 or 600.

One minor factor is that the polyester will hold up to ultraviolet degradation better than the nylons will – but that likely won't matter for your use.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools