Topic

Clothing systems for cold weather packrafting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Clothing systems for cold weather packrafting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Just got back from a packrafting trip in the upper peninsula of Michigan. I was caught in an unexpected storm, and spent a couple of days hiking in snow, temp in the upper 20s.

Clothing was as follows:
    Worn: synthetics pants, merino hoodie, R1 top, dry ducks suit
    Hands: neoprene paddling gloves
    Feet: liner socks, hydroskin neoprene socks, minimalist trail runners
    In pack: Down hoodie, cocoon pants

Clothing was perfect for the conditions encountered, and hands and feet were fine when paddling. However, hiking in the snow with wet hands and feet was unpleasant to say the least. The neoprene gloves were worse than nothing when wet (cheap REI gloves "warmers" with leather palms- the leather was the problem). I'll also never forget the feeling of satisfaction I felt at 4 am when I woke in my quilt at 4 am and my toes were no longer burning/tingling from the cold. In the future, I will bring a designated set of "dry" gloves and probably invest in better neoprene gloves. Not sure yet what to do about feet. Maybe my usual winter oversized trail runners and sock system, and heavier neoprene booties for the wet parts.

What is your winter clothing system for packrafting?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Ike,

I have never packrafted but have spent a lot time sailing and canoeing off Irleand's Atlantic coast and heavy gauge Neoprene is the only way to go for me.

Cheers,

Stephen

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Odd that your feet were cold while hiking and warm while boating. Usually for me it's the reverse. Heavier neoprene socks are worth a look.

Neo gloves are problematic because neoprene isn't windproof. Wearing surgical gloves under them can fix this. I usually wear fleece gloves inside Gore-tex mittens, with an extra pair of gloves for off the water.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

The hiking was mornings and evenings and the rafting sections midday. May have just been that ambient temperatures were significantly warmer when rafting. My feet were able to dry out a little more though when rafting, whereas when walking, they were constantly being bathed in new icy puddles.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Restoring missing thread

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

When I'm packrafting, I usually opt for a shoe that drains well above all else (like the Salomon Tech Amphib). If I'm trekking any meaningful distances, then I just wear the shoe that I like to trek in.

As the temperatures drop, I move to a Gore-Tex shoe (I'm currently using the Inov-8 GTX 288), which helps trap warmth. It also traps water, so I get pretty serious about applying a skin protectant (Hydropel, Bodyglide, etc.).

In the packraft, I wear a pair of midweight wool socks under a 5mm neoprene sock (thick!). If temps are cold (less than, say, 25), then a VB sock between the wool sock and the neoprene sock does help.

On the trail, I walk in this squishy setup until my feet get sort of warm, then switch to a thick wool sock and a goretex sock in the goretex boot, and stow the neoprene socks and wet socks (I put these in a gallon ziplock and sleep with them at night so they don't freeze). This setup seems too hot for any temps higher than freezing, but seems OK below freezing.

For hands, I use a Goretex over mitt on top of a fleece glove on the water and trail, and I carry a spare set of fleece gloves or mittens.

Oh, and dedicated sleep socks (I use thick R3-style fleece) are a nice luxury.

Mornings are the worst, of course, especially if you are getting into the boat right away.

A fire every night helps take some of the edge off.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools