Topic

MYOG Tent inner advice for a Outer Pitch first tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Tent inner advice for a Outer Pitch first tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

Has anyone tried to make a MYOG tent inner for a Outer Pitch first tent?

Cheers,

Stephen

Edit: Going to speak with Bear Paw Wilderness Designs instead and try something like this when I have more time on my hands.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I am in the middle of doing this for a SMD Cuben Haven – just finishing the patterns. I found the best way prepare the pattern was to pitch the outer over the top of large piece of cardboard and attach a string to the point(s) in the apex that the inner will be suspended from. Then you can play around checking lengths and clearances from the outer and plot everything you need onto the cardboard. I then made a template of the side with the door marked out to check that it was going to fit and recheck the clearances from the outer. I found this gave me much greater peace of mind in believing that it would fit the actual tent rather than relying on the website measurements, but the proof will come after construction.

If this is successful then I plan to build an inner for my Hexamid fly as I want inners that are mainly fabric rather than mesh. Materials for both are 1oz cuben floor with 8D and a little nanoseum mesh for the walls/roof.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Mark,

That's a great idea to use cardboard as template for the floor, I was going to try out making an inner myself but decided to go with Bear Paw Designs.

All the best with your project.

Stephen

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

What type of tent are you planning on using the inner net in? I don't have much experience in double walled tents, but I'll see if I can come up with something.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Michael,

It's a Hilleberg Soulo inner with a lightweight ripstop inner I was thinking of making up but have decided to get Bear Paw designs to make one up.

Cheers,

Stephen

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

Our Lil' Bug out shelter allows the outer to be pitched first, or all at the same time. The nest is sized to fit and attached via line locs.

If you search our youtube videos, you may find an example of it all being pitched at once

http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/little-bug-out-shelter/

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Kevin,

Is that not a commercial product?

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools