Topic

How necessary is a 4 season tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking How necessary is a 4 season tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Winters coming

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Stephen,
    Raising the dead….?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Greg,

I thought some folk might find it usefull.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

If I knew for sure there was a good liklyhood of heavy snow and/or wind, I would bring something besides my still working, 3 season, SD Halfmoon tent, which is relegated to car camping now. If mild weather, I could get by with my recently sold, TT floorless Squall. Many of the CA group I bp with have a BD Hilight like I do for snow camping. I used it a week ago for a weekend trip along the PCT up here in the N Sierra, north of Sierra City.
    Duane

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I modded my SCARP 2 for winter B/c I like tenting as opposed to the work of building even a snow trench, let a lone a quinzhee or snow cave.

I sold my SW Moment and am getting a Moment DW with the ripstop inner tent, partially for solo winter camping.

So my answer is 4 season tents ARE necesary (for me), especially for making camp in a different location every afternoon.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools