Topic

Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tarp Camping Techniques for Inclement Conditions

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

'cribbing' I will definitely use it. Thanks (especially for hammocks)

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

Instead of using a sheetbend or any other knot to directly attach a line to one's tarp grommet/pullout, I have found it far less hassle to simply tie a small loop in the tarp end of the line using a simple overhand loop or bowline. Just like how you would attach a yo-yo to your finger, one can then simply thread the loop through the pullout and run the rest of the line through the loop (kind of a girth hitch). Knots will not be stuck on your tarp, ever, and switching lengths of line among various grommets/pullouts takes seconds. Bigger loops can be better for speed here and can double as short peg loops like what RJ puts on the corners.

One other insight: My one small bungee loop I sometimes bring for my larger tarp is used on a mid-panel guy, and is dual-purposed as an easy hairband-style closure for my pack liner bag.

Definitely agree with the simple cord management technique of a knotted loop. I have tried and have seen others try to make neat little bundles of cord, which takes a long time and doesn't always keep in a stuff sack.

My next step is color-coding cord by length.

Jack Chiles
    BPL Member

@didymus1of12

Locale: Southwest

I calculate 24, unless there is additional stress not shown in the numbers posted.

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools