Topic

Pattern needed for Vapor Trail lid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pattern needed for Vapor Trail lid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Anyone have a pattern for a lid for a Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack? I can't figure it out from photos on the web.

Thanks,

Elliott

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Elliot, I have a lid right here, but Im selling it today. I will take photos and trace an outline. I can fax or email the info to you. PM me through my profile if you are interested.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I'm also in the process of making a lid myself (for 2 packs). Some pictures and an outline will help.

When I'm finished, I'll post some pictures/how-to for others here.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Guys, heres a picture of the lid. It is 2 dimensional; just two sheets sewn together with slots for the load-lifter straps, and a buckle strap. Top sheet is stretchy like neoprene, bottom is sil-nylon. Buckle attachment areas are tough material; I dont know what it is.
    The ruler in the pic is 15cm long. You can print this picture at the appropriate size to make your outline. I tried to load a big pic, but BPL shrank it. Email me at brettgb2004 at yahoo dot com if you want the original.
    Hope it helps.
    Any of you MYOG guys know how I can make two non-joining sleeping bags zip together? Tearing out and replacing the zippers at my skill level is out of the question..
    GG lid.. ruler is 15cm

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Might the "tough material" at the attachment point described above be Hypalon?

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I guess the first question is about the zipper teeth themselves. Are they different teeth sizes for each bag? If so, I was thinking about possibly making a little "joiner strip", which basically is the other side of each zipper, with the correct teeth size, and just zip that in.

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

Check my new post on the pack I just made, I posted some photos of the new lid I made
    The climbing skiing… bla bla pack.

Making a 3d lid from scratch and with no pattern was a bit tricky. Getting the gussets and all the seams in the right places…good luck

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I'm officially jealous of your pack now. I may need some pointers, since I only have done stuff sacks so far.

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

Hi Joe,
    Thanks man, I havent figured out how to reply to PM's yet here, the links never work. So anyway..

The materials I all got from OWF, I havent looked at Quest's stock too much.

Anyway the spandura I used is the 6.5oz weight. OWF has 4 different kinds and from the 1" samples I think this is the best weight to use, its also expensive, the others have slightly different textures. Its expensive! An alternative is using Schoeler softshell fabric form Rockywoods which is half the price per yard, I have a very hard time telling the two fabrics appart. When Sewing the edge on it, like for the tops of the side pockets I used a 3 step zig-zag which is a strech stitch, works and looks great. The spandura is also excellent gaitor material…

The Zippers are #5 uretek continous coil zips, its easy to work with but expensive, just get a bunch, with a few pulls. I like to just sew the ends shut. The zipper for the mesh is a normal #5 coil.

For the Lid I had two sides, a bottom, the mesh, and a long piece that wrapped all the way over for the top. Then the additional front and side gussets. Here are some more pics which should help
    Have fun!lid sideinside out

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools