Topic

Freeze Dried Paleo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Freeze Dried Paleo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Are there any freeze dried paleo meals? I like mountian house but its too salty and not good for you.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Not freeze dried, but Paleo and for a good cause: Steve's Original Paleo Kits (nothing for cooking, if that's important to you. The cereals and 'cookies' are fabulous. The jerky is good.).

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Make your own! Of course, it would have to be dehydrated rather than freeze-dried (though I suppose you could use dehydrated meats/veggies to make your own soup or stew….) My next Paleo BP meals will be simple– I frequently make Paleo green pork chili or a red beef chili and that can easily be dehydrated and prepared freezer-bag style or in a cookpot. The same can be done with beef stews or vegetable beef/chicken soups. Also, chicken curry can be dehyrated pretty nicely. This is the only way to really control the quality of your foods and avoid all the weird crap and preservatives, salt and sugar in most prepared foods.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

Ike,
    I live in Louisville too! Anyhow, if you get any leads on some dehydrated paleo recipes then please let me know. My roommate and I started going primal about 6 months ago and have some solid recipes if you're interested.

Going out to RRG on the first weekend of November also if you want some people to get out with.

Kim,
    Do you have any articles or write ups of how you prepare your dehydrated paleo meals. My roommate and I would benefit greatly from info like this.

Peace,
    Dan

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Buy individual ingredients in bulk from Packit Gourmet and make your own. Or they will make custom meals for you (at a price, I'm sure). None of the preservatives that are in Mountain House.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I don't have anything written up…. I usually use a crockpot to make the green pork chili, beef chili or stew. This is something my husband and I eat a couple of days a week anyway, but it also happens to work out great for BPing meals. Typically, a good sized serving (16-20 ounces of stew) fills a single tray in the dehydrator (with the solid liner tray for doing liquids) and can take 12 hours or so to dry. I weigh the portions when done so I can calculate how much water to add to rehydrate the meal. I use a freezer bag and cozy to rehydrate. For the green pork chili, I have to break the pork chunks a little smaller than usual so they dry well. The red chili with ground beef is fine as is. If you are doing beef stew or a thick soup the chunks need to be cut fairly small to dehydrate and rehydrate well.

I have some freeze-dried chicken and sausage from packit gourmet that I have yet to experiment on. Maybe some chicken curry… I have tried to dry some veggies with mixed success. The riced cauliflower was a major fail. The zuccini slices work fine, the zuccini shreds, not so good.

Dawn Anderson

@paleomealstogo

Hi,
    First I want to let you know that I received permission from Ryan to post this information about freeze-dried Paleo meals because I didn't want it to look like I was spamming on the forum. There is a place you can buy them!!!!

My son is a backpacker, CrossFitTM athlete, marathon runner, and a Paleo Diet follower. He had been searching and searching for a freeze dried backpacker meal that adhered to the Paleo Diet guidelines and was never able to find one. He also runs marathons and works at a remote job site where he can't always fix meals, so he often needs a meal that is quick, wholesome and Paleo. As you probably have noticed, most of the ready-made, freeze-dried meals out there are full of ingredients not allowed on the Paleo Diet. When he couldn't find one, he decided to make one! He is an engineer in Denver and has an entrepreneurial mind set so he suggested we start a business manufacturing freeze-dried Paleo meals. So, I have spent the last three months starting a company to do just that!

Our website is http://www.PaleoMealsToGo.com and I thought you might be willing to take a look at it, give us some feedback and maybe even try a meal. We are a small company, it's just the two of us, and my son works full-time at another job, so any help you could give us as far as promoting our product would be greatly appreciated.

I hope this information is helpful.
    Dawn Anderson
    http://www.PaleoMealsToGo.com

Dawn Anderson

@paleomealstogo

Checkout http://www.PaleoMealsToGo.com….. it is a new company making freeze-dried Paleo meals that my son and I just launched. Our products are complete meals, not just snacks, and I think you'll find them very fast, convenient and delicious…… not to mention Paleo!

Feel free to contact me via our website if you have any questions.

I hope this is helpful for you.
    Dawn Anderson
    PaleoMealsToGo

By the way, Ryan gave me permission to post this exciting news that is of benefit to many of Backpacking Light readers who have been looking for Paleo meals to take on trips.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I'd like to add into the discussion that I soundly give Paleo To Go thumbs up. Wow! It isn't often I say i loved a fd meal. It was that good!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools