Topic

Titanium Rod for DIY Projects

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Titanium Rod for DIY Projects

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Everyone,

Over the last few years, I have received ALOT of emails asking if I would sell my super strong Grade 5 6AL-4V Titanium round rod for DIY Projects. To keep costs low and to be able to ship the rod for free, I was thinking of cutting the rod into 18" lengths and selling it in 10 piece packs. I am thinking of offering the rod in a few sizes .0625" (1/16"), .0935" (3/32"), and .1250"(1/8"). Rough prices look like this…

$19.95 for 10 pieces of .0625" (18" piece 4.08 grams)
    $29.95 for 10 pieces of .0935" (18" piece 9.11 grams)
    $39.95 for 10 pieces of .1250" (18" piece 16.28 grams)

I am sure you are scratching your head asking yourself what you would use these rods for.. Some suggestions would be ultralight backpacking grills, ultralight pot stands or even ultralight tent stakes. All you need is a pair of pliers and an imagination :)

So all that said, who is interested?

Thanks,
    Lawson

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Of course the question is: How much does each piece weigh?

–B.G.–

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

Ditto.

In addition, which would be more suitable for making a grill? Bail handle?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Bob,

Assuming those diameters are exact and the alloy is close to titanium's density of 4.506, then I calculate 4.1, 9.1, and 16.3 grams per 18" rod, respectively. Times 10 for the pack of ten.

YTMV

(Your titanium may vary)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

cut&paste from wikipedia:

Generally, Ti-6Al-4V is used in applications up to 400 degrees Celsius. It has a density of roughly 4420 kg/m3, Young's modulus of 110 GPa, and tensile strength of 1000 MPa.[8] By comparison, annealed type 316 stainless steel has a density of 8000 kg/m3, modulus of 193 GPa, and tensile strength of only 570 MPa.[9] And tempered 6061 aluminium alloy has 2700 kg/m3, 69 GPa, and 310 MPa, respectively.[10]

So weights should be 2% lower than I quoted above, give or take variations in thickness.

Lawson: Yes, I would be interested.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Thanks, David. That may be somewhat heavier than what I need.

Plus, how can you join that stuff? I guess it would have to be welded. You wouldn't exactly put it together with Superglue.

–B.G.–

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

David's weight per 18" piece are right on the money. Thanks, Lawson

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Way to go, Lawson! Bringing small quantities of titanium to the people at a fair price!

But, yes, what do you do with it? That was the dilemma that Ryan Jordan faced back in 2006–nobody wanted to buy the 24" .062" 6AL-4V rods that the Gear Shop sold. So during his annual inventory reduction sale, he offered them for 50% off, just to get rid of them. He made a sort of contest of it, offering a free year of BPL membership to anyone that came up with something unique using that titanium rod. I bit on it, just for fun. I made my first grill from the metal, and it was something that only a mother could love. But it worked. I sent Ryan some photos. Ryan gave me a year's worth of BPL, and he asked me to make a couple of grills for him. He even sent me some more titanium rods. After maybe 6-7 grills, I came up with a couple that actually looked and worked quite well, and I sent them to him. That's how my Zia grills came into being.

Pretty soon, one thing led to another. When you have a stockpile of titanium in the basement, and a blizzard is raging outside, the graph lines seem to intersect. I found myself sitting in the basement war room, bending titanium into all sorts of shapes, making useless, but cool (and lightweight) gizmos. Then I had to buy some titanium foil from Ti Goat, and try my hand with wind screens. Then came the pot supports, etc. etc. There's always something cool to be made from titanium, if you are a true geek.

To answer some questions asked in the above posts:

Haywood-For a grill to be made from 6AL-4V titanium, the .0625" rod will work best, but you really should be using commercially pure rod. I use CP-type 2 rod for my Zia grills, as it is easier to bend, and it has better physical properties when exposed to intense heat. In making a wire bail for a bucket, I think the .0935" rod would be best. the .125" rod is extremely difficult to bend by hand, but it's rigidity makes for great tent stakes. Incidentally, the custom pot stands that I made/sold last winter were made from both .0625" and .09" rod. For boiling just 2 C. of water, the thinner diameter works fine. But for heavier loads, or for a taller pot stand, you'll want to go with the .093".

-BG- The only way that you can truly weld titanium is by using an argon chamber to keep oxygen out. However, Josh Leavitt does some good work with his titanium grills without an argon chamber, employing a type of pressure welding technique.

David-I went down to the basement and weighed ten-18" titanium rods. They were 42 g., or 4.2 g. per rod.

Lawson, you might also consider finding some CP Type 2 rod in both the .0625" and .09-.10" diameters. Those might be useful to some people. I love the creative offerings that you always seem to come up with.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

How ideal is 6AL-4V titanium rod as a material for pack stays?

I might be willing to try out the .125" for that purpose (as a replacement for the AL stay in my SMD Swift), although 18" would be too short – 20-22" would make more sense for that specific use.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello

I would like to play with the 1/16" stuff

Thanks Jim

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> The only way that you can truly weld titanium is by using an argon chamber to keep
    > oxygen out. However, Josh Leavitt does some good work with his titanium grills
    > without an argon chamber, employing a type of pressure welding technique.

I have used high pressure spot welding with fair success, on both wire and sheet. If you are only doing a little bit, try gooping the joint first with welding paste flux.

cheers

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I don't know how long the material is, but many may prefer it in full length gently wrapped into a large circle/spool.

It could mean less waste for some projects making the extra shipping cost worth it.

Titanium rod is fairly easy to bend and the rod could be straightened out or shaped as needed.

Robert Paul Malchow

@paulmalc

I too would like to be able to get some longer (~36"), thin titanium …

Kim Pingatore

@tryker13

Locale: Close to the AT in Central VA

I'd be interested in the .0625 rod

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools