Topic

Late Fall Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Late Fall Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Logan Bowling
    Spectator

@bowlingl25

Locale: Almost Heaven

So, I have been backpacking for the last few years and have just recently worked on lightening my load. I am not trying to be ultralight but like to shoot for about ten pounds and wont sweat if I am a little over.

In the past I have pretty much stuck to backpacking when the weather is warmer and nicer but this year I wanna extend my trips all the way through November and into early December. I am located in West Virginia and this time of year snow becomes quite possible.

Here is my whole gear list and any advice will be appreciated and taken into consideration. What I am mainly worried about is my clothing and footwear. Will my feet freeze if I am hiking through a little snow with trail runners and one pair of wool socks on?

I know my sleeping bag is heavy and not good down to the 15 degree rating but I have an Enlightened Equipment Rev X 10 degree with over stuff on the way that will be here at the beginning of November, which I think will work with my combination of sleeping pads.

Thanks guys and gals

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9984

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Grab a pair of either Rocky Mountain GTX socks or some Seal Skins socks — that will act as a insulater/waterproofer to keep your feet warmer (not dry but warm) and I've snowshoed at -5* with Salomon trail runners, Rocky Mtn GTX socks and Injiji wool toe socks (inside gtx socks) with a OR Crocodile gaiter and been fine.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Their are several articles one footwear for shoulder season use on the site.

Keep in mind that those are very dependant on metabolism, hiking/camping style and local conditions, so what works for one person might not work for another.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you are hiking through patchy snow, then some thick (thick is important) wool socks should keep your feet warm enough, even when wet. They will cold walking through snow, but warm up when you leave the snow.

If you are walking through constant wet snow, then the freezing cold water from the snow is going to overwhelm your feet's ability to keep warm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools