Topic

Down or Synthetic Bottom Quilt for Florida?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down or Synthetic Bottom Quilt for Florida?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    A
    BPL Member

@lurkinart

Locale: The Wild.

I Will be backpacking for several winter months in Florida, using a hammock.

My top quilt is down. My wearable insulations are all synthetic.

Would you go with down or synthetic for the bottom quilt?

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Locale: Western PA

I am not a hammock sleeper but does it even get cold enough in Florida to necessitate a bottom quilt? Would a foam pad suffice? If it is necessary then I would go with synthetic. Florida is so wet and humid that I would want the synthetic insulation.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

A foam pad would probably be sufficient but I personally don't find them as comfortable as an underquilt. If you go with the foam pad (which you can try pretty inexpensively) make sure it's wide enough at your shoulders. You can trim it for other parts of your body, but having cold shoulders keeps me awake.

Since your top quilt is down you're already dedicated to keeping it dry. You'll have enough sun so that airing it out shouldn't be a problem. For a Florida winter I'd definitely consider a 3/4 length underquilt to save weight (and money). I have the te-wa Summer Breeze and I love it. I've had it in temperatures down into the 30's and have still been very comfortable (but I am a warm sleeper).

A
    BPL Member

@lurkinart

Locale: The Wild.

Thanks Christopher and Kevin.

I think I would want a under quilt over a pad for the comfort. I am new to ham mocking, never slept in one yet, just got it.

I would like a full length UQ so I don't have to mess with a little pad for my feet.

The TeWa looks amazing, but They don't make them in a full length.

I was thinking to have a mixture of synthetic And down insulation, with everything i wear being synthetic, and my top and bottom quilt being down… But the consensus is to go with synthetic for the bottom quilt as well, yes?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools