Topic

Dutchware products, titanium is cool

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Dutchware products, titanium is cool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Has anyone here tried the whoopie hooks made by Dutchware? I know they are talked about on hammockforums.

I have some on order, they look pretty sweet. Since I am a sucker for titanium I also had to order some of his tarp flyz too, and some more poly webbing to make up new tree huggers (tree sap sucks).

Check out his site, didn't know if members on this site were aware of this stuff.

The whoopie hooks are 3.4 grams each, are rated to hold 1000lbs and work with 7/64th amsteel. No more toggles or carabiners. They should also make a great water drip stop.

The tarp flyz are 2 grams each, work with 1.75mm zing-it and allow for a quick way to attach your tarp to trees with only a very minor weight penalty. I have used 1.75mm zing-it for 2 years for my tarp lines, I have had luck knotting it but knots have slipped at times and with cold fingers can be a bear to untie.

It looks like my set-up will lose a little weight overall and increase speed of setup and simplicity.

William Roddey
    BPL Member

@draickin

Locale: Southeast

I use the whoopie hooks on my hammocks with amsteel and dynaglide, the tarp flyz and Dutch hooks on my tarps, and the Dutch clips on my tree straps.

No hammock setup is complete without Dutch bling.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've been looking at getting a set of the Whoopie Hooks for my hammock suspension and some of the regular hooks for a single line tarp setup. He's definitely got some pretty cool stuff.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The Whoopie Hooks look really cool, but they would take away one part of my hammock adjustment: I use my tree strap and the location of my marlin spike hitch to adjust where my whoopie slings start.

I normally carry a 6-foot and an 8-foot tree strap because I've found that the trees in PA vary substantially. One night I might be wrapping my 8-foot strap around a tree close to 24" in diameter and the next night around a tree only 8" in diameter. that obviously leaves a big difference in the amount of strap hanging down.

Because I can choose where the whoopie attaches to the tree strap (by adjusting where I put my marlin spike hitch) this is never a problem, but I'm afraid the Whoopie Hook would, especially when I'm using younger trees, force me to choose trees further apart.

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

I ordered some yesterday.

Kevin, the Whoopie Hooks don't mean you take away a Marlin Spike Hitch from the tree straps… they make the Whoopie Slings detachable from the hammock.

The Whoopie Hook is in the long adjustable end of the Whoopie sling and attaches to a fixed Amsteel chain link at the end of the hammock. The other end of the Whoopie Sling is the fixed loop which you just slip over your Marlin Spike Hitch on the tree straps.

At least that's how I'll use it. I've got 8 foot long tree huggers that are tensioned around the tree with a titanium Dutch clip. On that strap is a Dutch Buckle which serves as an easily adjustble blinged-out Marlin Spike Hitch. The fixed end of the Whoopie sling slips over that Dutch Buckle and the other adjustable loop of the Whoopie Sling with the Whoopie Hook attaches to the hammock. So you can adjust the suspension length both on the tree hugger strap via the Dutch Buckle and on the Whoopie Sling.

Here's why this is an advantage… if you have trees close together, like 12' or so, then you don't even need the Whoopie Slings. You just disconnect the Whoopie Slings via the Whoopie hook. THEN you loop the Amsteel fixed chain link at the end of the hammock around the Dutch Buckle (Marlin Spike Hitch).

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

I think because on Dutch's site it shows the Whoopie Slings with Whoopie Hooks attached directly to the tree hugger, it looks like that's how you have to hook the Whoopies to a tree. You can hook the Whoopies to the tree any way you want… in my case (and yours) by slipping the end over a Marlin Spike Hitch.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Mark,

Thanks for the explanation. It's certainly overkill (especially since there are now whoopie hooks) but for each of my five hammocks I have:

• 1 6-foot 1" strap with loops at both ends (and a toggle attached)
    • 1 8-foot 1" strap with loops at both ends (and a toggle attached)
    • 6 foot whoopie slings (7/64" Amsteel) on each end of the hammock
    • A dynaglide adjustable ridgeline

Doing the math a simple pair of whoopie hooks would have saved me four sets of my whoopie sling/strap combinations – hmmm…That's enough for another hammock!

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

I will keep my straps and whoopie slings on each hammock we have. The thought of grabbing the hammock without it attached and not finding out until I am ready to hang the hammock up isn't good.

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

I'm really enjoying how many gizmos and gadgets there are for hammocks.

We had a Boy Scout campout a few weeks ago where it rained non-stop. Once the tent floors were underwater we had to leave. A hammock is the logical solution to get out of the water.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools