Topic

Thoughts on this down source?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Thoughts on this down source?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cosmic Osmo

@cosmicosmo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1200TC-LUXURY-Siberian-Goose-Down-Pillow-750-FILL-POWER-/140864472160?

Yes, it's "siberian" down, but it says 750 fill power, it says 100% goose down, and it says 30 oz fill weight. That's $2.83 per ounce and $6.53 per cubic foot if it lives up to its claims. I posted a question to the seller about which variety has the 30 oz of fill power because you can choose between soft/medium/firm and queen/king and got this response: "The pillows that we currently have are all medium firm which is the specification listed on the listing."

I figure at worst case scenario, if it turns out to be lying about its specs, I should be able to get my money back, right?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

How will you know?

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

I got this a month ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110756317290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It says it's 85% down and 15% feather on the tag even though the ad misleads that information a bit. The tag does say 800FP though.

I've been waiting for my sewing machine to get back from repair (4th week today…so frustrated right now) but after I get it back I'll be finishing up a project and then making a quilt…at that point I'll tear open the pillow and stuff the quilt…if I need more down I'll just order another pillow.

Not saying to go either way but it's something to consider…I was a bit annoyed with the 15% feather on the tag after specifically asking about this a week before ordering and it going unanswered, but I've tried and I can't feel a single feather.

Regardless, it's only 18oz but they sell a pair for 36oz total at a slight discount that would be very similar to what you're looking at…might be worth a look.

Cosmic Osmo

@cosmicosmo

>"How will you know?"

Good question. Down percentage can be evaluated visually, fill weight is easy enough to measure. Measuring fill power is a little harder, though, but it can be done with a big cardboard box and some math.

I can just imagine the phone call now, "Hi, I'd like to return the pillow I bought, I opened it up and pulled some of the down out and it turns out it's only 500 FP when you advertised 750."

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

"Measuring fill power is a little harder, though, but it can be done with a big cardboard box and some math."

Let us know the outcome, although I doubt you'll recover your funds if you are unsatisfied with the fill power. You'd probably need a lab to test the down and provide some sort of certification countering the sellers claim. I imagine the testing would cost as much or more than the pillow itself.

Wikipedia says measuring fill power "involves measurements taken of a one ounce sample of down in a plexiglas[sic] cylinder with a weighted piston compressing the down. The test requires controlled temperature, humidity, and preparation of the sample."

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

'Down' doesn't have any feathers in it.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Yes, I looked into fill power measurement a while ago, and found that it isn't as simple as piling some down of a known mass into a container and measuring the volume. As Eric noted, fill power is measured with a weight on top of the down. I doubt that you could use the cardboard box method to determine the fill power to within 200 cu.in/oz. unless you had another sample of down of known fill power to compare it to.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools