Topic

What ultralight 60L pack to replace Arcteryx Bora 95?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What ultralight 60L pack to replace Arcteryx Bora 95?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I tend to do 10-14 days expedition boatinghiking trips in Labrador in the Summer and Fall and 3-7 day skiinghiking trips in the winter. The environment is tough and gear has to be too.

As I progress toward an increasingly lighter kit, I am looking for a lighter pack.
    I currently use a Bora 95. It is a great bag but much more than I need now.

What is a the besttoughest 3lb bag in the 60 litre range.

Appreciate everyone's advice.

Thanks
    Derrick

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Off the top of my head, Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter, Cilo Gear packs, or a custom McHale.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

and a big fan, but to add to the list above also look at cold cold world and in the past i would have said wild things, but they aren't currently showing their midsize packs on their web site and i don't know if they are making them anymore. a lot of folks love the andanista, but it's volume is more than you are looking for. these are pretty-much bullet-proof alpine packs that will meet your volume requirements and are in teh 3 lb range

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on the Cilogear for tough. The 60L will creep up to more like 4 pounds depending on size and features. The alpine style will live well in a boat or swinging your arms if x-country skiing or snowshoeing.

I thought of an Exos 58 for weight and comfortable carry, but not for tough.

David Ure

@familyguy

+1 on the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter. To get a well distributed 60L, however, you would likely want the Expedition model. Carries better than any lightweight (i.e. 2lbs) pack available.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

I concur on the HMG Porter/Expedition if the fit works well for you. Love not having to use a pack liner or cover, and the fabric is plenty tough if you take reasonably good care of your gear. Workmanship on HMG gear is excellent (I own three of their packs now).

-David

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Osprey Aether 60 could be worth a look. If you can find a previous model (2009 I think?), its strictly a top-loader (without the new added zippers on body) and is around 3 and a half lbs. Its a solid bag, carries weight well and has ski loops.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I used to use an Osprey Atmos 65 and loved it. I beat that thing up for years and it barely shows any marks…including a 3-week trip to Patagonia and a trek to Everest base camp.

Lighter than the aether and has the mesh back panel for ventilation.

Mal Hooper
    BPL Member

@malligator

Locale: Valley of the Sun

I absolutely love my Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60. I don't have a hanging scale and it's too big for my food scale to get a true weight, but it's spec'ed by Granite Gear at 2 lbs 14 oz. I'm actually sort of sad that my gear is getting too small and light to use the Blaze on a weekend trip. :) I'll be keeping it around for longer trips for sure, though.

Nick G

@hermesul

Borah Gear has just published some stats on a new 58 L pack they're coming out with. It looks fantastic, 15.5 oz, nice and simple.

http://www.borahgear.com/

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

Borah's pack looks interesting– and attractive.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the one that fits you best especially with that weight yr going to carry …

i hate to say it but its really that simple … you may find that nothing works as well as yr bora, or you may find something that fits and carries better …

remember that if you order online and it doesnt fit … make sure you can return it and youll lose out on shipping

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I hate to say it.

Really?

I have to agree with Eric that you need to be prepared to return a few packs before getting one that works for you if you are going to buy online. At least this is my experience.

I would take a look at the Elemental Horizon Aquilo http://www.elementalhorizons.com/aquilo-pack.aspx. A full Dyemma X version is available as a custom job.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Thanks everyone.

Derrick

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools