Topic

Handling down

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Handling down

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I would like to hear any and all strategies for handling down on MYOG projects. And of special interest is what techniques/methods folks are using to measure amounts of down to fill each portion of a garment or sleeping bag. I am considering adding some down to a bag and would need to be able to measure and transfer fairly small amounts of down.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

the shop-vac method is very popular, as detailed by BPL hero Jamie Shortt at lytw8.com here-

http://lytw8.com/My_Gear.html#LytW8_Summer_Quilt

full deal is under the "Summer Quilt Instructions" pdf link.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You need good scale to measure – 0.01 oz or 0.1 g resolution. Probably 0.1 oz or 1 g would work.

Turn off fans. Breath very slowly. Move your hands slowly.

Measure down in a container. Grab down and compress into your fist, and then grab between thumb and fingers. Stuff into baffle. Push down into baffle with rod. Maybe several times to get all the down for that baffle.

This has worked for me. Simple method. Many ways to do this, this is just one way.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 on shop-vac, as described by lytw8.
    I used a KD-7000 one gram resolution scale.
    Easy, clean, no fuss. Handling down turned out to be a non-issue.
    Biggest problem for me is that my house is too small to store a shop-vac, so instead of buying one I borrowed one from a friend.

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

plus two on the shop vac!

just dont blow when you mean to suck! its a mess, happened to me once, but its the kind of mistake you only make once!

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I attempted the shop vac method and had a somewhat funny mishap. After inserting the vacuum wand into the baffle and turning it on, a majority of the down flew back out the opening of the baffle. I suspect that my vacuum's blower mode was far to powerful for the small baffle and lightweight down. Instead I inserted my pre-weighed bags of down (I saved newspaper bags for a few weeks) and emptied them by hand from within the baffle. I moved slowly and it was a success with minimal down escaping.

Fronkey over at Hammockfourms has a YouTube video illustrating a very similar technique.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46587

I would likely follow his directions in my next project but pre-weigh my down in larger mailing envelopes to reduce the plastic bag clinging to some of the down.

Also, I used clothes pins to seal each baffle after the down was inserted and waited to sew the baffles in one pass.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I just put one hand stitch for each baffle to keep down in. If you push it way down, and don't manipulate it more than necesary, down will stay there.

And it just seems like doing it by hand is simpler. It takes less time than if you construct something with vacuum.

I wonder how professional down fillers do it?

If you had to do a bunch of sleeping bags, then it would make more sense to construct some device.

But, it would be more fun to do vacuum cleaner device. Especially if you had a down explosion. That would definitely put me on the floor rolling around in laughter. Nothing's better than a good laugh.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

When I made my bag, I just went with the old stuff it in hand technique. I didn't own a shop-vac at the time, so that was really my only option. Far less messy than I imagined, maybe only 1-2grams of down escaped in total. Just move veeeery slowly with your hands, and make sure there is no air current in the room. Once you get the down in the baffle, tape or hand stitch it close.
    Good luck!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Eductor much?

-Tim

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I want to see pics.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Mine isn't exactly what a home user would build but you can make something simple with a little PVC and one drain kit. Lance Marshall posted on it years ago I've been using one powered by two leaf blowers for a year but a simple shopvac powered one would work fine

-Tim

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

You must use an eductor to blow down into sleeping bags?

I googled it. Uses venturi effect. Blow air in one port. Down sucked in another port. Down and all the air goes out a third port into your sleeping bag.

You never have a down explosion?

It seems like there'd be so much air flow that it would "blow out" the baffle you were blowing down into. The fabric must be breathable enough.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Jerry is right. You can't use it with all fabrics as they need to have high enough air permiability

Fabrics that work
    M90 v3
    Impetus 1.0
    NOBULL 1
    1.1 ripstop

Fabrics that will pop like a balloon
    M90v2/intrepid20d
    M50
    Impetus 1.1
    7d

If you use one of the safe fabrics as liner you can use one of the unsafe ones as shell and still be ok

A homemade eductor would have much less air volume than mine and may work in the unsafe fabrics but I've not tested that.

Will post a few eductor pics to our Facebook (not sure how to do here from phone)

-Tim

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

At least for sleeping bags, I have used a Karo pattern, which eliminates the need to fill individual baffles, just blow the whole lot in, stitch it up, and shake it around.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools