Topic

Inov-8 Roclite 315

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inov-8 Roclite 315

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

After checking the GoLites out, I decided to order the Inov-8 RocLite 315. Those high lugs on the GoLites and traction on rocks wouldn't seem to be a good combination. The 315s are going to be a major departure from my six years of wearing Merrells, but the weight and traction features are what sold me. Unfortunately I won't be able to do much breaking in of the new shoes since my thru hike of 280 miles on the LT will be almost the same as the expected lifespan of the 315s.

There were only a couple of user reviews on these shoes and I'm hoping that all that I've seen and read of them otherwise is true. This is the first time that I've ever purchased any pair unseen and untried.

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast

Good luck with them. I recently purchased sight unseen the Inov8 Terroc 330 and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned right out of the box. I have worn Montrails for years, but I think it will be hard to go back.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

I'm about to switch from regular hiking boots to either
    the inov8 roclite 315 or the terroc 330 but am leaning to
    the 315 because of some past plantar facitis. any thoughts?

robert courson
    BPL Member

@bertcourson

Locale: lake michigan

I liked the 330s, but they seemed to let a lot of dirt/stuff in too easily. I wear NB 872 that have a membrane to stop the stuff from coming in. The 872 is still quite breathable. I can even feel the air on my feet in cool weather.

Samuel Winebaum

@samwine

Locale: NH

I have run in both the 315's and the GoLites. The 315's are truly a fantastic all around shoe: rough trails no problem and super on the roads. Great fit for me. The GoLites are stiffer especially in the forefoot and thus might be better with a decent load. I have had no problem with the GoLite high lugs on rocks here in NH but might be concerned with wear on the LT at 280 miles. My GoLite 315 have about 200 miles of trails and roads and show no real wear anywhere beyond the midsole collapsing a bit to the inside on one foot which always happens to me.

John Haley

@quoddy

From what I read the Inov-8 Terroc 330's are more suitable for plantar facitis (check RunningWarehouse comments). It's a real toss-up between the two anyway, so this might be your deciding factor. I'm considering using Superfeet-Green insoles in the 315's, but I'll probably try the shoes without the insoles first.

David Chan

@iamthechan

Locale: Southern California

I love my Roclite 315s. My first pair arrived a few days before a 100 mile section hike of the Finger Lakes Trail. With no break in they were very comfortable. They also dried quickly after some heavy rain and water crossings.

After a few more hikes with the Roclites I decided I will wear them for my 2007 AT thru-hike. I have 5 brand new pair waiting patiently to hit the trail.

I tried green superfeet for some shorter hikes more recently, but didn't like the reduced flexibility and the way it changed the fit. That's a personal preference though and they may work for others…

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Superfeet in Inov-8 shoes? Ack! A significant design feature of the Inov-8 is the high level of flex. Superfeet would completely change the dynamic of the shoe for the worst.

I don't have plantar facitis, so I can't common of that other than to note that the flyroc has decent arch support for modest arches. If you have a high arch, you might want to look at other shoes. I would also note that there are a number of stretching exercises which is a highly effective treatment for plantar facitis.

Part of the design philosophy of the inov-8 shoes is to let your feet flex naturally. Initially this will give your feet a serious workout, but many people have found that once they have built up their foot and calf muscles, that inov-8 shoes rule.

I have more or less lived in the flyroc-310 for the last two years. I have several boxes in my closet just in case the shoe is discontinued… though the folks from inov-8 have said that they are not planning on doing the typically change shoes every so often, they will keep making the old shoes and slowly add new ones to the lineup.

David Chan

@iamthechan

Locale: Southern California

Yup, that was my feeling too as far as the superfeet. One of the reasons I really liked the Inov-8's was the increased flexibility and natural motion of the foot… The superfeet were to rigid for me and made my heel ride too high so that the fit was not as good overall.

I haven't tried anything besides the roclite 315 yet, but certainly will once they are inevitably discontinued or "updated".

John Haley

@quoddy

Thanks for the input on the Inov8 with Superfeet. I thought that might be the case and only have Superfeet now to reduce the heel slipage and overall looseness in my three pairs of Merrell Chameleons. Since I don't have any arch problem, I'll go with no insert in the Roclite 315's and take advantage of the flexability.

Got the 315s today. I was amazed at the light weight and the visual size difference between them and the Merrells I was wearing…they looked so much smaller. I went with the same size since the Merrells tend to be about 1/2 size smaller than advertized and the RocLites were almost perfect…maybe another 1/4 size smaller yet. As long as my feet don't swell they're going to be great. I'm going to have a close acquainted with the ground surface in these. Very airy and comfortable.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools