Topic

Hand sewn projects for beginners?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hand sewn projects for beginners?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Please excuse me if this subject has been beaten to death before but what are some simple projects for a beginner who does not have a sewing machine? I'm hoping for suggestions of things that could be hand sewn..

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I just noticed this at thru-hiker – use machine needle for hand sewing:

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/repairing_gear_on_trail.php

You could make a hat or gloves out of fleece – not too much sewing

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Larger things, like a bivy, are simple enough to sew by hand but would take forever.

Mittens (there is a great pattern on thru-hiker), beanie, buff, stuffsacks, pot/freezerbag cozy (grab a windshield reflector at the dollar store), shoulder strap pockets (like the zpacks one), mosquito head-net, I'm sure there are more.

Don't be intimidated by sewing machines (although I'm not accusing you as such). They can be had for super cheap at thrift stores or pawn shops, and it is super fun to get into.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"They (sewing machines) can be had for super cheap"

It's not the cost of the sewing machine that's the problem

It's all the fabric and stuff that you buy afterwards : )

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I almost typed "lol" but then I realized that annoys people :) Anyway, I am intimidated by sewing machines, but really, I have spent too much money on gear this year already. So, I'm looking for small projects to keep my hands moving this winter. Also, great to do on planes, etc. when using a machine is not practical. Don't the Eskimos hand sew their clothing? Or they did anyway. If they can, so can I.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

kniting?

The only thing that worries me about lol is, does it mean "laughing out loud" or "lots of love"?

I believe there was a British politician that used it a lot, thinking it was "lots of love" but then he found out it was "laughing out loud" which made all his posts inappropriate.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

But you see, if you are making your own gear with a sewing machine you are SAVING money, thus making it totally financially responsible.

Or so one would think hahaha

Sewing by hand is completely fine, just takes patience. I made a bunch of chalk bags by hand for rock climbing. I also made a sleeping bag for my dog by hand… he is only 12 lbs, so it didn't take long.

I'm not sure about you getting sewing needles on a plane, let alone knitting needles! But it does keep the hands busy in non-TSA controlled situations :)

I think it was bpl member Matthew Edwards that sewed a tarp by hand, but I might be wrong on the name.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Thanks so sharing your ideas…I have some things to think about now. Sewing a tarp by hand would be fun. I was actually able to take a sewing needle on planes this summer no problem.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

As the boyfriend of a knitter, they are allowed on the plane unless you're going to Europe where it depends where you are going.

hats and scarfs seem to be the most popular "starter" knitting projects. then socks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools