Topic

Sounds you’ve never heard before

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sounds you’ve never heard before

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Robert Alston

@ocotillo

I'm suprised no one has mentioned a porcupine. One woke me up on a trip as it sounded like a baby wailing. They are very vocal and have a variety of sounds that they can make.

Found this clip online.

YouTube video

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I hadn't ever heard a fox at night until about a month ago, didn't know what it was until a friend told me….very interesting. Two weeks ago I decided to test my opsak. I'd had tuna for lunch and left the foil pouch closed up in the opsak along with my breakfast bar for the next morning. Hung it in my food bag. In the wee hours of the next morning I was awakened by an incredible racket, and all I could think of was, "yeah, somethings fighting over my food bag, and now I'm minus my breakfast"….it was a short hike out, so I didn't have much to lose. Turned out that wasn't the case, it wasn't disturbed…but something, likely raccoons were having a dispute over something.

@ Ken, Thanks for the warm thoughts… you are, of course right :)

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Not that i've "never heard" but I had an owl hooting at night in northern VT on the Long Trail. Was fun to hear it away from the normal town/house noises.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

The sounds that mountain lions can make is downright spooky. Sounds like a crying child. Any time I hear it, it instantly makes the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. There's certain areas around here that have something of a reputation for visits from the big cats. You hear stories of people claiming "bad" feelings about these camps or that they're haunted… and they always mention the sound of a child crying off in the distance.

I encountered a new sound (for me) this weekend… The wind was blowing so hard and steady all night, it made my guylines vibrate at just the right frequency to make a whistling sound. Definitely not spooky or mysterious, but a new experience nonetheless.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

My young daughter's continued begging and pleading for me to take her out hiking ever since we completed our first shared overnight adventures.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Believe it or not, a beaver can make the strangest wailing sound. The first time I heard it at night I didn't know what was coming for me :)

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

A couple of wierd sounding animals I've run across are a bobcat which sounded like a baby crying and a couple of opossums that were calling to each other.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Often while backpacking in the Smokies, I have heard sounds that are so low in tone (not volume)that I am not sure if I really heard it. And its a drumming sound. Eventually I followed it and found a group of grouse "drumming" to call the other sex. Its like a fast drumming but so low in tone its barely audible.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

My first Mountain Lion scream fest was downright spooky. As for the noisy beaver… well I'll leave that one alone.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

An orgasm. But I am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong…..

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Doug, I've been waiting patiently for you to get in on this, what took so long?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

A Hr person with empathy

David Ure

@familyguy

Had an Elk in rut scream its mating call right next to my tent. I had heard that before. What I hadn't heard before was my girlish scream.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Good man Dave :-)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thinking about this…
    One night I had a koala not far above my tent.
    Every so often he would wake up and do a bit of a song and dance (mating call) then fall asleep again.
    He had done that from late afternoon.
    At some point during the night I heard the koala make a different sound and then heard a loud cat like growl, not a domestic/wild cat but something bigger than that.
    By the time I got out of the tent to investigate it was gone and so was the koala.
    No idea of what it was

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> At some point during the night I heard the koala make a different sound and then
    > heard a loud cat like growl, not a domestic/wild cat but something bigger than that.
    > By the time I got out of the tent to investigate it was gone and so was the koala.
    Found a mate maybe?

Cheers

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Don't know but was a very high pitch not at all like the sort of noises I have heard a koala make .
    Somewhat like the sound of a Tasmanian Devil (fighting) except that we were in the Otway (Victoria)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

The bone chilling sobs of La Llorona.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I was hiking around off trail in my local state park. It was getting dark, I was just trying to get back home. I was passing through a section of the woods where there must have been 100 turkeys all going crazy and gobbling. It was very disturbing. Like a giant turkey music festival. Then, out of nowhere, I hear a person let out a bloodthirsty yell and the sounds of turkeys fleeing. Some weirdo was out there in the dark stalking turkeys like some kind of feral tarzan man. I think he heard me walking after that and hid from me.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Franco

Otways eh?
    Probably a Geelong supporter after a bad result.

Cheers

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Around sunset on a dayhike in Briones, a regional park that while surrounded by urban development, is known to contain cougars, bobcats, coyotes, etc., I heard something I've not been able to identify by listening to various audio clips. By far the closest match is Robert Plant's screech at the beginning of Immigrant Song. (abbreviated, about two seconds of arraaaaaaaaaahh!, repeated)

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

One of my favorite sounds is that of the loon. I never heard one until I got to go camping in the BWCA years ago. You guys up north probably don't think any of it because you hear it all the time- but I really thought it was such a cool sound.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools