Topic

Anyone have experience with the SuYou Solar Charger

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone have experience with the SuYou Solar Charger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I was going to make my own DIY charger similar to what Roger had done in the past, but saw this system going for $25 (less than my parts + shipping) and I can pick it up locally.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11496

Anyone used it? On the electronics forums I follow people are pretty happy with it, but I don't know the exact weight or fragility from a backpacking standpoint. Specs seem pretty good and it'd directly work with the Steripen UV water purification systems that charge of USB.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Before you jump into the purchase of a solar panel+battery, you might want to first calculate what your power needs are going to be. Compared to the cost of a pure solar panel, you are paying a bunch for the battery portion which you may or may not need.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Rather small solar cell. Unless you are in the desert you may never get enough power from it.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Rather small solar cell."

Exactly. That's why I made the warning.

I don't think that I would fool with any solar panel under a few watts. Something around 5-10 watts becomes useful, but it still may not be weight efficient.

–B.G.–

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools