Topic

In Jackson, Wyoming 10/13 & 10/14, day hike suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning In Jackson, Wyoming 10/13 & 10/14, day hike suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Going out to Jackson Wyoming for a last minute work trip. I ~may~ have time for a day hike on one of the weekend days. Any suggestions for bang for buck day hikes in the area? (will have rental car). Thanks!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

*bump*

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'm surprised nobody has come up with something. In the absence of anything more recent, here goes: It has been a long time (probably more years than you are old) since I've hiked in the Tetons. My favorite hikes were Death Canyon (above Phelps Lake) and Paintbrush Canyon (above Leigh Lake). By now it may already be snowing up there. If this is happening when you're there, there's the low elevation trail (~7500-8000 feet) that connects the above. Or you could hike around Jenny Lake. I'm assuming that the motorboat ferry across Jenny Lake is no longer operating in October. It's a quick way to get up Cascade Canyon.

Actually, any lower altitude hike in GTNP should be fine, subject to weather limitations. Consider calling the park for ideas.

Links to maps: http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/hike.htm

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Bryce,

Mary's suggestions are good ones – Paintbrush and Death Canyons are easily accessible and allow some wonderful vistas of the "Hole," the valley between the Tetons and Gros Ventre range. There are some great day hikes starting at the top of the ski area tram too, and for $20 you save about 4000 vertical feet. If you get up early and drive north, through Teton Park into Yellowstone, it's and easy and scenic hike from the road to Shoshone Lake, and you can stop on the drive back to Jackson to see some of the falls on the Snake and Lewes Rivers – and behold the Tetons in all their glory after leaving the park. That's only the tip of the iceberg.

Richard

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Hey Bryce,

There are so many great places to hike in the area.
    I haven't been there since I was young, but I'm sure you will find so much to do.

Lets hear a trip report when you get back.

I am planning on going out there soon and hope to spend a good amount of time there again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools