Topic

UL Camera Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography UL Camera Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada

Does anyone know of a purpose build camera bag being made by anyone in the UL cottage industry that provides a light weight way of carrying a camera + lens + assorted accessories that is both light and waterproof?

I've been using a normal camera bag that has one main pouch for a small DSLR with lens and a second pouch for a bigger lens. On the front of the bag there is a pocket for accessories and one pocket in lid. With the carry strap removed and mini-carabineers on the plastic rings, it snaps easily to the front of a pack's shoulder straps. Although the bag works well, it is heavy and not waterproof.

Edit – I was looking at the ZPacks Multi-Pack – 4 in 1 Backpack Lid / Chest Pack / Belt Pack / Satchel. I suppose you could cut up a foam mat to make compartments, but I would be interested if someone knew of something purpose built that size.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I used the Zpacks multi-pack as a chest-mounted camera bag on my last hike and it worked great. I didn't bother with creating foam compartments or anything. I simply made a few pouches out of bubble wrap and tape for each lens, etc. that was going to be placed in the chest pack.

No damage/problems with this approach.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a lighter solution.

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Nicholas – Thanks for the feedback. I was worried that it might not be deep enough at the stated 3 in depth, but Joe just emailed me back and told me it would be a simple mod to add some more depth to it.

Now I just need to settle on which system to replace my DSLR with!

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Well my ZPACK bag just arrived. I had it made one inch deeper:

Zpack bag

I then made a padded internal frame out of a foam mat:

Foam interior

Added to Zpack bag with my new NEX 5N:

Bag together

Result is a 4 oz waterproof camera bag:

Completed bag

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools