Topic

Gabrielino Trail — Doable?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Gabrielino Trail — Doable?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Locale: SoCal

Does anyone know if the Gabrielino Trail from Chantry to JPL is passable? I plan on doing the 28 miler this weekend solo but not sure if it's possible after the fire. Thoughts anyone?

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

I'd be interested in knowing that too!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Call the FS.
    Last I did it (months ago), the Gabrielino was closed from the junction at Bear Canyon to roughly Oakwilde.

Tons of turricula out there.

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

I just checked with the Forest Service regarding the Gabrielino Trail, whether it is open in its entirety. They said from Switzers to the Arroyo is closed.

It looks like I'll have to do a modified route. I will post what I find.

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Looking forward to a report of the route you took. I've wondered about this trail myself coming from Chantry Flats.

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Mangus, I just went on your blog and noticed you spend [last weekend] at Henninger? I was there last weekend leading a group of scouts and I think I noticed your tarp tent. We were cowboy camping due to the heat! We were at "Upper Camp."

I will post on my trip this weekend soon. (spoiler: Gabrielino Trail is in fact closed from Swizters to Oakwild)

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Yeah, I decided to hike late afternoon Saturday to meet a couple of my UL buddies. It was HOT! It was just an overnight.

I cant wait for your TR, looking forward to reading it.

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Thanks for your trip report John. The last time I went over Newcomb was when I did the Gabrieleno Trail in 2009 before the Station Fire. From JPL the trail is open to the Paul Little Picnic area about 1.5 miles beyond Gould Camp. There is a nice check dam falls up there.
    A couple of alternatives are available resulting in similar mileage. Starting at Millard Canyon, the Sam Merrill Trail, or the Henninger Trail you can get to Switzer and connect with the Gabrielino trail there. The approach through Bear Canyon and the trail camp there are open. The trails all skirt the Station Fire closure area and they all go past Mt. Lowe and pick up the Tom Sloan Trail over Tom Sloan Saddle and into Bear Canyon. I haven't done the section from Mt. Lowe through Bear Canyon to Switzer but want to. If you do it please post a report.
    I was up at Henninger when you and the troop were there. Too bad we didn't hook up. That was the SUL challenge hike. Pete and I were at Sub-5 base. Angus will have to tell his own story!

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Read the TR and it still amazes me that these places are right in our own backyard!

When we were at Henninger, I took the challenge and tried to get to a 5 lb. SUL weight…I failed miserably!

Posted this on my blog about Don and Pete's SUL load (http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com/).

"For this trip, my total pack weight was right at 10 lbs. (including food & water) – great right? The two guys on this trip had a 5 lb total pack load each! That's Super Ultralight!"

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

It would be great to hear what trail conditions are on the trail from Bear Canyon to Sloan Saddle. I went up Bear Canyon from Switzer's this Spring. I got as far as the Trail Camp at the south end of Bear Canyon. It looked like the trail was in very bad shape from there up to Sloan Saddle. I didn't have time to explore it. I have been up the other side of Sloan Saddle from Millard Canyon last winter. That trail was in poor shape, but doable. Lots of washouts, blowdowns, and brush. I found leather gloves and treking poles helpful. (Maybe some clippers?) The trail is heavily used from Millard to Dawn Mine. The trail immediately above Dawn Mine is hard to find at first, but then goes well to the Grand Cyn. A large group of us went thru to Sloan Saddle and on toward Mt. Lowe in Feb.
    I also explored the Gabrielino trail southbound from Switzer's last Spring. It is posted as closed at the turnoff to Bear Cyn. I went about a mile further. It was washed out and overgrown but passable. I think the worst part might be getting around the dam at Paul Little(?). I didn't like the idea of getting into trouble by myself on a posted closed trail. The FS might not see the humor of the situation.- Scott

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools