Topic

what sort of water containers do you use with a steripen?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what sort of water containers do you use with a steripen?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Ok. I wasn't going to say anything but what the heck. You see, stainless steel is very conductive so it feels as warm as what ever you put in to it. So…..in addition to the other uses I mentioned before, two more uses for the Klean Kanteen: night time urinal for frequent male urinators and sleeping bag heater.

This multi-use discovery was by pure accident early this summer when I realized I had forgotten my plastic Gatorade bottle urinal. When one urinates as often as I do, and has trouble falling back to sleep after hanging it loose in frigid temps, forgetting the urinal is reason to panic. What to do!?! I kept looking at my Klean Kanteen that eve and thought to myself "it's better than not getting much sleep and what the heck…it was MY urine and not someone elses". That night, after doing the deed, I was reaching outside my shelter to dump the bottle when I couldn't help but notice all the heat coming off that shiny Klean Kanteen. So…..I aborted the dump, screwed the lid on tight, and put it right back in the bag.

A thorough rinsing in the morning, along with some crushed Horse Mint growing at camp, in case there was any residual flavor hanging around, and I had my water bottle back. I like my Klean Kanteen.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

@ Rusty B "Dale, which store/s are you finding these bottles in? I looked at Stanley's website and am now curious to see some in person."

I got one at a thrift store. I've seen them in a couple local outdoor stores in Seattle, but haven't run across them in a big box store— but I rarely shop in them. There are several models with varying complexity in the caps.

I dug the one I got out and did some real comparisons and I was off a bit:

24oz Stanley: 6.4oz

27oz Klean Kanteen small neck/all plastic cap: vary from 6.8oz to 7.4oz

27oz Klean Kanteen wide mouth with a steel insert in the cap: 8.2oz

ID on the necks are close to the same, just a bit over 2".

They will both hold about 800ml. I filled them both to the brim and put the caps on to get the fullest carry capacity and then measured with a Pyrex kitchen measuring cup. The Klean Kanteen will hold just a few cc more.

This is the style:Stanley 24oz bottle

If you want a combo boiler/water bottle, the H2Go stainless bottle is the one to seek out. It holds 40oz, just like the big Kleen Kanteen, but it weighs 6.6oz– about the same as a 1 liter Nalgene Triton. The lid is held on with a tether just like the Nalgene, but the treads are oh-so-slightly diffrent. At least with that tether ring, you can get the plastic out of harms way in a fire or on a stove. Picking it up hot is an issue. The problem with getting them is that they are sold through promotional supply houses with big minimum orders. I think this is the bee knees for a light stainless bottle that can also be used for boiling. It is lighter than the Klean Kanteen, Sigg and others, and there is no plastic mounted on the bottom to melt in a fire.

H2Go 40oz water bottle

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

another cutoff 2 liter Platy here, also wrap mine around the Opti- the platy is nice as it's light, scoops nicely and stands up

Photobucket

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I use 1 liter Aquafina bottles for my basic water bottles, and a 1.5 liter Aquafina bottle, cut off just above the 1 liter level, for treating with the Steripen. The 1 liter bottle fits nicely inside the cut-off 1.5 liter bottle. The cut-off bottle also squeezes into a nice pourable spout for filling the 1 liter bottles.

I've tried a lot of other solutions, and this is the best I've found!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ that's a good idea :)

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne

+1 ^ good idea

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

"If you want a combo boiler/water bottle, the H2Go stainless bottle is the one to seek out. It holds 40oz, just like the big Kleen Kanteen, but it weighs 6.6oz– about the same as a 1 liter Nalgene Triton. The lid is held on with a tether just like the Nalgene, but the treads are oh-so-slightly diffrent. At least with that tether ring, you can get the plastic out of harms way in a fire or on a stove. Picking it up hot is an issue. The problem with getting them is that they are sold through promotional supply houses with big minimum orders. I think this is the bee knees for a light stainless bottle that can also be used for boiling. It is lighter than the Klean Kanteen, Sigg and others, and there is no plastic mounted on the bottom to melt in a fire".

Thanks, Dale! That looks like it might work pretty well. Finding one might be a different matter though…

I was excited to just learn that Klean Kanteen will be coming out with a new bottle/container. Unfortunately, upon looking at its specs, it's not quite what I was hoping for. It might suit the needs of others though. Here it is: http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/klean-kanteen-food-canisters.php?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social_media&campaign=1210_canister_launch

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Sorry for the slow reply, I missed the question at first and then was away for a while.

Here's a pic of the "cooking kit" as packaged in the water treating containers

caldera cook kit in water treatment kit

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I use a cut off 2L platy as well.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I have only been using my Steripen Adventure for a few weeks. On a recent solo 7 day Labrador wilderness trip where time was very scarce I began to just drop the Steripen in the bottle, swirl it around awhile then leave it there immersed until it was finished while I did other things.

Maybe I lack patience but when holding the pen part way into the water the sensor continually became exposed to air inadvertently or else I removed the pen before it was finished and got the dreaded red light.

I am assuming it is waterproof as a whole unit and I immersed it entirely for a full full week's water and it still works fine. Admittedly, I am not stirring the water the whole time as one should.

Derrick

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne

I'm not sure how 'waterproof' the Steripen is…I would be hesitant to immerse the whole thing. I think water resistant would be a more appropriate term. Considering it relies solely on that little black seal around the top, I would exercise caution about dunking the whole pen. I could be wrong though.

Again, I'd be cautious about 'assuming' that it's waterproof too…it will only be waterproof until it's not…then you've got a stuffed Steripen on your hands for the remainder of your trip. I actually enjoy holding the pen to perform its function, firstly, the sensors rarely become exoposed. Secondly, it gives me time to stop, even though a short while, relax, and take a look at my surroundings. The functional simplicity of the Steripen pulls me back into the moment.

As for the stirring/agitation…I rarely do it either. The water I sterilise (generally) is relatively transparent. Given that the UV sterilises up to 6-8 inches around the globe itself, it's reasonable to assume that it doesn't need agitation if using it in a Nalgene sized container. Simply suspending the Steripen in the water would naturally set up micro currents and flows anyway, so I'm not too fussed about stirring it, unless the water is murky/sediment laden.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

a Rubbermaid one liter bottle. Not as light as a soda bottle, but at 2.8 ounces and self supporting and very robust. I just have that container to use my Steripen in and drink from around camp and a Platypus hoser for on the trail. Best solution I have found.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Jason,

Took a look online and you are right, the battery compartment is not waterproof:

"Misconception 4: Water Leaks into SteriPENs
    It is possible for water to get into SteriPENs, but this is a rare occurrence and we only get returns from water leaks once in a blue moon.

The lamp area, buttons and main shaft of SteriPENs are completely waterproof. The battery compartment is splash resistant, but not totally waterproof, which is why the instructions suggest you never submerge a SteriPEN in water. Despite the fact that the battery compartment isn’t totally waterproof, leaking is only a problem in rare cases."

I agree re enjoying the moment but that is not always possible when setting up camp at dusk in horizontal sleet and rain at 0C35F degree weather, as were the conditions on my last trip when I took my chance with the PEN and abandoned it to work on its own. Every minute counted!

Notwithstanding SteriPEN's caution re full immersion, I checked my PEN last night and disassembled it (its been stored since I got back) and it was perfectly dry inside throughout. With that said I will avoid full immersion going forward. Clearly a great product it when it outperforms recommendations.

Thanks for the comments.

Derrick

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I use some older 500ml Gatoraid/Lifewater bottles. They "used" to have wider tops, just big enough to do a half liter of water.

Since I start with clean water, end with clean water, I don't worry about the tops.
    After treatment, I squeeze gently as I close the tops, washing the threads as I seal it. I leave it this way till I use it.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools